Sopa de Fideos: Mexican Noodle Soup

I love Mexican food. The flavors are wonderful and everything always smells so good, I just can’t resist it! I’ve been to many Mexican restaurants and they seem to always give you a small cup of Sopa de Fideos (noodle soup) before the meal. So I scoured the internet and viewed tons of recipes discovering that the basic recipe is pretty much the same. Here’s my version and I loved it!

Sopa de Fideos
1 7 oz package of Fideo or angel hair pasta broken into small pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
3- 14 oz cans chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
freshly ground black pepper
course salt
Combine canned tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Warm olive oil in a medium skillet and add fideo noodles. Cook over medium low heat, stirrly regularly, until all pasta noodles are golden brown. Remove from heat.
Combine tomato mixture, chicken broth and the noodles in a medium saucepan. Season with pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium (gentle boil) until noodles are almost tender, about 7-8 minutes. Add chopped cilantro and cook 2 more minutes or until noodles are done.

Mmmmmmm!

46 Responses to Sopa de Fideos: Mexican Noodle Soup

Donna-FFW says:

Amanda. That looks so awesome, love it. Looks very authentic, bet it tastes that way also!

Tami says:

I’ve never heard of this soup before. I know that my family would love it, though. It looks great!

Bunny says:

I am such a sucker for tomato based soups and this sounds and looks great Amamnda!

The Blonde Duck says:

Looks delicious!

I moved! Check me out at http://www.aduckinherpond.com

The Cooking Ninja says:

It definitely looks delicious and I love tomatoes – whether it is soup or sauce.

Culinarywannabe says:

I love how pretty the broken noodles look! I always eat this soup with a big scoop of sour cream – not very authentic, but I have to have it on Mexican food! :)

Cheri Sicard says:

I was looking for a good soup to make — it’s been cold and snowing here. This is perfect.

Elra says:

What a delicious and simple soup. Sometimes we all need to make soup with just a few ingredients, yet taste absolutely satisfying. This soup is just that.
    Cheers,
    Elra

Michele says:

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I’m going to check yours out right now. This recipe certainly does sound yummy!!! You have a lot of blogs!!!

Michele says:

Don’t mind my ditziness! I HAVE seen your blog before!!!! I love it!

Sara says:

This looks great, I love fideos. Rick Bayless has a great fideos recipe that I make often.

Maria says:

I am on a soup kick!! This one looks awesome!

Pam says:

I’ve never had this soup before but I must try it. Simply and tasty – my kind of soup.

MaryBeth says:

This soup looks very tasty…my husband did say however that it didn’t have nearly enough cilantro for him.

Jaye says:

My Mexican grandmother made this sopa and taught all of us as well. My family adds some cumin to the broth, which sends it completely over the top. Love sopa.

Kitchen Flavours says:

Wow comforting and refreshing….

That looks good. I bet it would be tasty also with some tortilla chips on the side…

The Food Librarian says:

This looks great! So warm and tasty!

Joe Chapala says:

I love Mexican food too

Fish tacos are one of my favorite Mexican meals.

I love fish tacos.

Taco Fish La Paz in Guadalajara, Mexico has a stand on Avenida La Paz in Guadalajara sounds like ‘Taco Nirvana’.

My experience in Mexico is that some of the best places to eat are those that are off the beaten path that the locals frequent.

I’ve been looking for good places to eat in Guadalajara and Taco Fish La Paz in Guadalajara sounds like just the place.

Fortunately, I live in Ajijic, Jalisco so the trip is a short one.

My mouth is watering,

Gracias!

Joe Chapala
    Casa Preciosa Ajijic, Mexico

Donna – yes it was wonderful!

Tami – When we go to Mexican restaurants they seem to always bring a little cup of this out before the meal. I love it!

Bunny – yes I love them too, the beauty of it is it isn’t an overbearing tomato, you get a lot of chicken flavor from the chicken broth :)

Duck – yes it was great!

Cooking Ninja – I love tomatoes too, can’t wait for summer to slice one up and sprinkle it with salt MMMMMMM

Culinary Wannabe – the beauty of these noodles is that they come this small, you don’t have to break them up. a wonderful little package of pasta :)

Cheri – hope you enjoyed it! Only takes about 15 minutes

Elra – I totally agree, sometimes the simplest things are the best

Michele – Ah yes, I do have a lot of blogs LOL!

Sara – I will have to look that up, thanks for the tip!

Maria – You’ll love it if you try it!

Pam – it’s great, hope you try it!

MaryBeth – Oh yes, I love cilantro too. Since it was my first time trying it I thought I had better be conservative, didn’t want to overpower the other flavors :) You can always add more!

jaye – I thought about adding cumin, will have to try that next time!

Kitchen Flavors – thanks for coming by!

Debbie – mmmm tortilla chips would be good!

Librarian – Yes, warn and tasty it was!

Joe – I haven’t been to Mexico in many years. I remember the wonderful restaurants, Mexican food is so awesome. I’m jealous you are so close!

My family used to make this soup when I was growing up. I haven't had it since I was like 10 and out of no where I got this huge craving for it! Your site was the 1st I found that sounded about right on the ingredients…I made your recipe + some chicken and it was right on! Thx!

thechicagovegetarian says:

Hey, Amanda, if you'd like the vegetarian version of this recipe, I have it on my blog:
    I hope to have as many posts as you do someday!

Anonymous – That's wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it :)

ChicagoVeg- That looks great! Good luck with your new blog!

Great soup I had many times in Queretaro, Mexico. This recipe sounds very similar to that which I had, minus the creme fresh. Will sure give it a try.

Hope you enjoy it!

I love how simple this is! It would warm me right up! :)

Cookin' Canuck says:

I love how simple this is, Amanda! Dipping a big hunk of bread in here would be perfect.

Deeba PAB says:

Comfort in a bowl Amanda. Delicious!! Adopt me?

My boyfriends mom makes this soup all the time and she gave me the recipe but I forgot some stuff and found this made it up and it taste just like hers I can't wait to make it from them! Also I top mine with some sour cream. Mmmm.

[...] this from Spice Hunter, but you can use any seasoning you like)1 cup frozen peas1 cup Fideo (See my Sopa de Fideo soup for a picture of these yummy [...]

Daune diaz says:

Simple and easy . My husband needed a little homestyle comfort food. Thanks!

Christina Noriega says:

Love this soup just finished making it ….

Hope says:

I am drooling just thinking about dishing this up tonight. Thanks for the recipe!

L. Allen says:

Sopa de Fideo is such a simple recipe, but one of my very favorites! Love love love it! Going to prepare it for dinner tonite! Mmmmm!

Bethany says:

I love, love, love sopa de fideos!!! It makes for a great soup, especially when the kiddos are sick or for whenever the craving for some hits! I love to watch my 2 year old slurp the noodles up, its so cute! :) I also like to add veggies and chicken as well.

A suggestion to making the soup would be this: The night before you want to make the soup, slow cook some chicken breast in some water and seasonings like garlic, bay leaf, onion, peppercorn, salt, cumin, and oregano. Let it cook on LOW, shred or cut chicken into chunks, strain the broth and recycle it in the soup. Homemade broth is 10x better than the broth in the can, but if you have no time just use the stuff in the can……no prob! ;)

readycarlos says:

I’ve seen simple versions of Sopa de Fideos and more complicated versions that involve roasting and pureeing the tomatoes, sauteing the onions and garlic in chorizo oil….SHEESH! This is supposed to be a simple dish. Your recipe looks very easy and involves a lot of the traditional elements. Like most Mexican dishes, there are regional variations. This is a dish that everyone’s Tia or Abeula made and there’s a lot of room for personalization. I can’t wait to try this!

glenda says:

very tasty, but I would use only half to 3/4 the bag of noodles. using the whole bad made it reall thick.

Margie says:

My mama and I made it the same way(ingredients)but now because my children like onions they can see and taste I add the diced onions to the noodles after they are almost brown. If I have some I also add any cooked left-overs I have like any kind of meat diced, chicken, fish,tofu all diced. Also left over cooked vegetables diced. If you don’t have tomatoes you can also use Hunts tomatoe sauce. I put it in the same frying pan where I am frying the noodles and onions when they are finished browning. I fry the tomatoe sauce with the noodles and onions until the tomatoe sauce is bubbling

Tara says:

This soup turned out great! So easy to put together and my son loved it!

Sarah says:

This soup was awesome! I don’t like cilantro so I left it out, I used green onion. This was liked by my family of 4, which is a challenge.
    This soup would be an excellent tomato base for endless possibilities of soups. Thanks :)