The summer season is almost officially over, school’s back in session, we’re busy-busy, and soup season…is pretty much here. Here’s an easy, savory, recipe for Italian Sausage Tomato Orzo Soup to add to your weeknight meal rotation.
Italian Sausage Tomato Orzo Soup
This soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s a broth-based, one pot, savory soup that requires only a few basic cooking techniques to reach maximum yum! The sausage and tomatoes give it a sweet and savory flavor while the orzo delivers that pasta-shaped-like-rice goodness that everyone loves. The seasonings, especially fennel, put the finishing touch on this Italian-inspired recipe.
It’s a filling soup, yet hangs out on the light side because there’s no dairy added to the broth. Have you ever had an Italian Wedding Soup? This one has a very similar look and feel, but uses Italian sausage instead of meatballs. You’ll also notice that we didn’t add any fresh, leafy greens to it. You know, like kale, spinach, or chard.
But you could add leafy greens…
And you’d only be upping the nutritional value. If you decide to add any greens, just toss them in near the end of the cooking cycle and they’ll cook to perfection.
You could also have even more fun and add croutons and shaved parmesan cheese. Or if you love fresh bread from the oven, this homemade Italian bread recipe is a perfect accompaniment! Of course, you’d be upping the calories, but who doesn’t love bread, cheese, and soup?! Although, I originally wrote this recipe without those party favors…to keep it on the lighter side.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
Ingredients you’ll need for Italian Sausage Tomato Orzo Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage links (casings removed); rolled into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2-15oz cans diced tomatoes – no salt added
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
Kitchen tools you may find helpful for this recipe:
If you want more quick soup recipes for busy weeknights, check out my 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup. If you’re really pressed for time and need a 20-minute soup, check out my In-A-Hurry Kale Chickpea Soup. Both recipes are as easy as this Orzo soup.
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE
More soup recipes you will love:
- Amanda’s Meatball Soup is easy to make and makes a delicious, hearty meal. Great for fall!
- This Sausage Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup is very tasty and is less than 200 calories per cup.
- Another delightful broth-based soup is this Chicken and Bean Soup. Easy to make and wonderful for lunch.
- Rustic Garlic Potato Soup is ideal for chilly days. It keeps well in the refrigerator and can also be frozen for future meals.
- Vegetable Rice Soup, this easy one-pot soup is great for filling up on those good-for-you veggies!