Turn your kitchen into a Mexican Cantina and make easy sheet pan chicken fajitas. Similar in deliciousness is this Chicken Fajita Salad, and we feel you’ll love both versions! Wrap these sheet pan chicken fajitas up in flour tortillas with a dollop of sour cream, a scoop of guacamole, and a drizzle of salsa – it’s so easy to recreate this restaurant favorite at home and it takes only 30 minutes start to finish!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
A great discovery in life is the realization that so many popular restaurant dishes are easy, and often times cheaper, to make at home and there’s no simpler dish than sheet pan chicken fajitas. I think the thrill of ordering it in a restaurant is the grand entrance it makes. Every fajita plate I’ve ordered makes it’s way to the table balanced precariously on the server’s tray, sizzling hot with wafts of steam left in its wake. Chicken fajitas are always a spectacle and grab the attention of everyone within earshot.
And so it was with that drama in mind that I tackled a homemade version of chicken fajitas. 30-minute sheet pan chicken fajitas. No reservations required.
It all starts with the sheet pan. I lined it with tin foil and popped it in the oven while it was preheating so when the sliced peppers, onions, and chicken are placed on it, they emit that satisfying sizzle sound. The preheated pan also helps speed up the cooking process, which means dinner is ready to go after only 20 minutes in the oven.
I’m sharing a simple fajita seasoning made up of spices you most likely have on hand already, but feel free to substitute your favorite premade fajita seasoning to make things even easier. When the chicken and peppers are ready, place the hot pan in the center of the table with tongs and let everyone build their fajitas family-style. It’ll make your kitchen feel like a beloved neighborhood Mexican restaurant.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need for Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are first pounded out which helps tenderize them and ensures even cooking, then sliced into 1-inch strips. I always use a plastic cutting board when handling meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- A simple fajita seasoning mix of garlic and onion powders, dried oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bell peppers. I like to use a mix of red, yellow, and green but any combination will work fine.
- A sliced yellow onion.
- Small flour tortillas plus toppings like guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. I used my favorite store-bought toppings to make life easy
Whether it’s Taco Tuesday or a Friday night in with Netflix these sheet pan chicken fajitas are destined to be a go-to favorite for dinner. Pair this meal with this Mexican Inspired Sangria for an even better Taco Tuesday experience. You may also love this mouth watering Sopa De Fideos: Mexican Noodle Soup recipe, another authentic Mexican restaurant favorite!
Another 30-minute recipe that will knock you into another dimension is this Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner with Lemon and Tarragon. It’s simple to make and bursting with flavor. Served up alonside roasted cauliflower and green beans, this dinner choice is one to be reckoned with.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
These sheet pan chicken fajitas are so delicious. It's easy to recreate this restaurant favorite at home and it takes only 30 minutes start to finish!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium bell peppers any combination of colors cut into strips
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with tin foil and place it in the oven while you prep the vegetables and chicken.
- Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet until they are of even thickness. Coat the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix the spices together in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the chicken in an even layer (both sides). Slice the chicken into long strips, about 1 - 1/2 inches wide.
- Toss the bell pepper slices and onions with the other tablespoon of olive oil. Remove the hot sheet pan from the oven and spread the peppers and onions in an even layer. Place the chicken strips among the vegetables. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with warm tortillas.