I love Salisbury Steaks and have been making this recipe regularly for dinner for almost a decade. I’ve even made a version that replaces some of the meat with Portobello mushrooms! I’ll admit that when I was a kid my dad used to feed us On-Cor frozen dinners, and Salisbury Steaks were my favorite. I’ve tried a few different salisbury steak recipes, all of which I didn’t care for, until I found this one years ago. And my family loves this kid friendly slow cooker meal!
Recipe for Salisbury Steaks
For my salisbury steaks, I always grill the meat first to seal in the juices and achieve those lovely grill marks. :) Alternatively you can brown them in a skillet. I don’t cook them completely on the grill, just enough to get the marks on both sides, then I cook them one of three ways:
- simmer them covered on the stovetop
- bake them in a foil covered baking pan in the oven
- cook them on low all day in the slow cooker
In all scenarios, I cover them in gravy first then cook. I’ll give you instructions below for all three methods, but the Crockpot definitely makes the most tender salisbury steak.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 lb ground beef or chuck (80-85%)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90%)
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup crushed Saltine crackers (about 6 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2(12-14-oz) cans or jars brown gravy
- Sliced mushrooms, optional
Kitchen tools you will find helpful:
No matter what method you choose, the first part of the recipe remains the same. Mix all the ingredients (see printable recipe below) together in a bowl and form 8-10 oval shaped patties. Grill them on both sides (you can brown them in a skillet if you prefer) and then follow the instructions below depending on which method you have chosen:
In the Oven
Place grilled patties into a 13x9x2 baking pan and cover with gravy. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes. After removing from the oven, allow to rest for ten minutes before removing the foil cover and serving.
On the Stovetop
Place grilled patties in a large skillet and over with gravy. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to rest for ten minutes before removing the cover and serving.
In the Slow Cooker
Place grilled patties in the slow cooker crock and cover with gravy. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove patties from gravy, tent with foil and set aside. Spoon off any excess fat from gravy. Turn slow cooker on high to thicken gravy if needed.
When to Add Mushrooms
You can add your mushrooms to any of the pans and allow them to cook in the gravy. I prefer that my mushrooms not be completely soft, so I saute them in a skillet and add them to the gravy just before serving.
In the oven, cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in 375 F oven for 25 minutes. On the stovetop, simmer for 25 minutes. In the slow cooker, cool on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve your delicious salisbury steaks with gravy, mashed potatoes, and broccoli or Slow Cooker Balsamic Carrots. Mmmmmmm!
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE
There’s a video of the slow cooker method here:
More ground beef dinner ideas you will like:
I use ground beef a lot. You can substitute ground turkey or chicken for many of these ground beef recipes, let me know how they turn out!
- If you are looking for a cheesy dish the family will love, try this bacon cheeseburger pasta!
- You don’t want to miss the best meatloaf recipe ever, I swear by this one!
- We love Mexican flavors in this house, so this Taco Casserole is right up our alley.
- Using the slow cooker is so convenient, and these slow cooker meatball subs are the perfect take along for football practice!
- And speaking of meatballs, these meatball stuffed biscuits are awesome for parties or after school – think football!
- This Cheesy Ground Beef Enchilada Chili from Oh Sweet Basil sounds delicious!
- These Ground Beef Gyro Meatballs from Kalyn’s Kitchen are calling my name, definitely trying these.
- I just found these Salisbury Steak Meatballs and thought it was totally genius!