This Mexican Noodle Soup is my version of the classic Sopa de Fideos, you can easily make this fideo soup at home with a handful of tasty ingredients. It’s bursting with delicious flavors, just begging you to make it! This classic reminds me of one of our most popular soup recipes, Italian Sausage Tomato Orzo Soup but with different pops of flavor, these two soups make my favorite list!
Mexican Noodle Soup: Sopa de Fideos
I love Mexican food. The flavors are wonderful and everything always smells so good, I just can’t resist it! I’ve been to many Mexican restaurants and they seem to always give you a small cup of Sopa de Fideos (noodle soup) before the meal. So I scoured the internet and viewed tons of recipes discovering that the basic recipe for fideo soup is pretty much the same.
My kids love this Mexican noodle soup as well, in fact when my daughter was sick a couple years ago I brought her a pot of this fideo soup and she was over the moon. It’s so flavorful and warming, it’s really that comforting!
Making Delicious Fideo Soup
- Fideo is the Spanish word for noodle and sopa translates to soup. You can find small packages of fideo in the ethnic aisle of your local grocery store. You can also use thin spaghetti noodles. Simply break them into small pieces about an inch or two long first.
- You can use your favorite brand of diced canned tomatoes, I actually prefer to use a fire roasted flavor for this recipe.
- This recipe calls for canned or boxed chicken broth, but many families like to use water and bouillon. The brand I’ve seen used most often for this soup is Knorr, but your favorite brand will also work great. If you make your own chicken stock, use 6 cups for this recipe.
- Don’t skip the fresh cilantro in this recipe. The flavor of the cilantro really makes this soup and it wouldn’t be the same without it. You can get a fresh bunch of cilantro at your local grocer for around a dollar, and you can make fresh salsa using what you have left over! You can also chop your remaining cilantro and freeze it in ice cube trays by filling each compartment with fresh cilantro and some water.
- You don’t really need special equipment for this recipe, though a blender is very helpful. You could also blend the ingredients in a food processor or use an immersion blender.
Ingredients for Sopa de Fideos Mexican Noodle Soup
- one-7 oz package of Fideo or thin spaghetti broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3- 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- course salt
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Combine canned tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Warm olive oil in a medium skillet and add fideo noodles. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until all pasta noodles are golden brown. Remove from heat.
Combine tomato mixture, chicken broth and the noodles in a medium saucepan. Season with pepper and salt.
Bring to a boil then reduce to medium (gentle boil) until noodles are almost tender, about 7-8 minutes.
Add chopped cilantro and cook 2 more minutes or until noodles are done. There you have it! A delicious pot of Mexican Noodle Soup, a tasty dinner recipe perfect for any night of the week.
This post was originally published on this blog on Feb 9, 2009.