This frozen strawberry salty dog recipe features vodka, strawberries, and grapefruit juice. This frozen cocktail takes just 5 minutes to make and delivers a sweet and sour punch!
Why this recipe works
When you combine sweet strawberries with tart grapefruit juice then add in the bite of vodka, you get a refreshing bitter-sweet cocktail that’s bursting with flavor.
This frozen strawberry salty dog takes the classic salty dog recipe to a new level with the addition of strawberries. On top of that, we’re throwing it in the blender with some ice to bring it to cool, slushy perfection.
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
VODKA – While any type of vodka is fine, a higher quality spirit will work best in this recipe.
JUICE – Grapefruit juice is what makes a salty dog, a salty dog. Any grapefruit juice will do, but we do suggest the Simply Grapefruit brand for great flavor and 100% pure grapefruit juice.
STRAWBERRIES – Fresh or frozen strawberries can be used. Frozen strawberries will help with the slush factor of your drink. There really is no huge difference between using fresh or frozen strawberries, it just comes down to preference!
LOVE STRAWBERRIES? you might also like this recipe – Strawberry Shortcake
How to Make a Frozen Strawberry Salty Dog
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- Place a small amount of water in a shallow dish, then add margarita salt to a separate plate. Gently dip the rim of your glass into the water, and coat with the salt. Set aside.
- Add the ice to your blender. Next add the grapefruit juice, hulled strawberries, and vodka.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the frozen mixture into two prepared cocktail glasses. Garnish with a strawberry, lemon wheel, or a sprig of thyme. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use either frozen or fresh strawberries. Frozen strawberries will help make your frozen drink even slushier!
You can use gin or light rum in place of vodka for this recipe.
This frozen strawberry salty dog is a sweet and sour slushie cocktail topped with a rim of salt. Featuring flavorful berries and juice, this drink just screams spring and summertime!
More Cocktail Recipes
- Mai Tai
- Rum Punch
- Tequila Sunrise
- Strawberry Mojito
- Pina Colada
- Coconut Mojitos
- Sex on the Beach
- Pineapple Rum Slush
- Blood Orange Margaritas
- Ocean Water Cocktail
- Painkiller Cocktail
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!
Frozen Strawberry Salty Dog
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 cup grapefruit juice I suggest the Simply Grapefruit Brand
- 1/2 cup strawberries hulled, or frozen strawberries
- 4 oz vodka pictured- Prairie Vodka
- 2 cups ice
- margarita salt for rims
Things You’ll Need
- Place a small amount of water in a shallow dish, then add margarita salt to a separate plate. Gently dip the rim of your glass into the water, and then coat with the salt. Set aside.
- Add the ice to your blender. Next add the grapefruit juice, hulled strawberries, and vodka. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the frozen mixture into two prepared glasses. Garnish with a strawberry, lemon wheel, or a sprig of Thyme. Enjoy!
Expert Tips & FAQs
- Simply substitute the vodka for gin if desired.
- Fresh or frozen strawberries will work for this cocktail.