Honestly, I thought I had hit the mother load of potluck desserts when I posted Pineapple Dream back in the summer of 2013. But wow, let me tell you this strawberry dream dessert is just as amazing as its pineapple cousin and if you’re a fan of desserts with strawberries like I am you’ll definitely want to try it today!
Strawberry Dream Dessert
I’ve always been big on strawberries. We even pick our own at the local strawberry farm! While strawberries are available all year you have to get them when they are season if you want the plump, juicy, sweet ones. Here in southeast Wisconsin strawberry season is early to mid June. I’ve made quite a few strawberry desserts over the years, but this strawberry dream is definitely one of my favorites!
I’ve always wanted to try different flavors with my pineapple dream dessert, and a strawberry version was definitely on that list. Then one day Amanda’s Cookin’ reader Jennifer LaRue left a comment saying she tried it with strawberries and it was a big hit. So I chatted with Jennifer to find out what changes she made and they were pretty minimal. Imagine my excitement when I found that out! So special thanks go out to Jennifer for testing this before I got to it, and giving me that little extra push to get it done.
How to make strawberry dream cream cheese dessert
First, some tips to help you make this easy recipe:
- You can use a food processor or a blender to crush up the graham crackers, but honestly it’s just as easy to dump two sleeves of graham crackers into a gallon zipper plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- While you might be thinking about just chopping up the strawberries, a quick whirl in the food processor or blender breaks the strawberries up and gives you just the right amount of juice and all that amazing strawberry flavor.
- This recipe calls for a square baking pan. A metal or glass pan is fine, but since you’ll be serving this dessert in that same pan, a blender is a nicer choice!
- Let this dessert chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours to allow everything to set up. If you have time, plan ahead and make it the day before to give is a chance to set up overnight.
- When garnishing the top with sliced strawberries you might want to hold off until an hour or so before serving. Even when covered, if the dish sits in the refrigerator overnight (as it should) the sliced strawberries could begin to look a little dried out.
- This strawberry dream dessert should be good in the refrigerator for up to four days. Though I highly doubt that you’ll be able to keep it around that long!
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups graham crumbs (2 sleeves)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (for crust)
- 2 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (for filling)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 2 cups hulled and halved strawberries
Helpful kitchen tools:
When it comes to summertime desserts, this creamy, delicious strawberry dream dessert is a must try. I promise you, of you are a strawberry fan you will love it! And speaking of strawberry lovers, try this Strawberry Icebox Cake which has been really popular lately, and this classic Strawberry Jello Salad! Some other strawberry desserts I’ve had my eye on include this Strawberry Shortcake Cake Roll (oh my!) and this beautiful Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake! And I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about my Chocolate Lasagna dessert. It’s the second most popular dessert on this blog so you’ll definitely want to join the masses and try it out!
YOU CAN PRINT THE RECIPE INGREDIENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW