The sweet, fruity drink known as Sex on the Beach is a combination of vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice, and orange juice. It’s fun and delicious and a great conversation starter, just for the name alone.
It’s the perfect summer cocktail for hanging around the pool or lounging on the beach.
Sex on the Beach Drink
This IBA (International Bartenders Association) Official Cocktail is most popular during the summer months. It’s typically considered a beach recipe, served up at Tiki bars at your favorite resort. The drink was created in 1987 to go along with the introduction of peach schnapps, a key ingredient in this cocktail.
A bartender in Florida created the drink and named it for the tourists that “enjoy” the state’s beaches each year. This drink is actually a combination of two cocktails. The Cape Cod, which is basically vodka and cranberry juice, and the Fuzzy Navel, made up of peach schnapps and orange juice.
Sex on the Beach Drink Recipe
The recipe is simple, and delicious. The results are pretty too, making it a gorgeous addition to your summertime parties. Sex on the Beach is often served in a highball glass. However, I find that a hurricane glass feels much more party-like!
Ingredients you will need
- Vodka is the main spirit, and it’s paired with peach schnapps. Use your favorite brand.
- You’ll also need equal parts of orange juice and cranberry juice. You could get fancy and squeeze your own orange juice if you like, but bottled is a lot easier.
- For garnishes, use an orange slice and a plump maraschino cherry threaded onto a cocktail umbrella pick.
Helpful mixology tools
- Everyone who enjoy mixing cocktails at home should have a cocktail shaker kit in their arsenal.
- If you want to go classic, grab some highball glasses. For a fun flair, use hurricane glasses.
- And of course, this drink would not be complete without colorful cocktail umbrellas!
- While totally optional, you might want to include some fun and colorful paper straws in your drinks.
How to Make a Sex on the Beach Cocktail
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour in all of the ingredients. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Strain the contents into an ice filled hurricane glass or highball glass.
- Thread a maraschino cherry onto a cocktail umbrella toothpick. Now thread a half slice of orange onto the pick, cut side pointing downward. Nestle the cut side of the orange slice onto the side of the glass to anchor your garnish.
If you love pretty summer mixed drinks, try these too…
Sex on the Beach
- 1 1/2 ounce vodka
- 1/2 ounce peach schnapps
- 1 1/2 ounce orange juice
- 1 1/2 ounce cranberry juice
- Orange slice and maraschino cherry garnish
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice and pour in all the ingredients. Shake for 20 seconds.
- Strain into an ice filled highball glass.
- Garnish with a slice of orange, maraschino cherry, and cocktail umbrella.