I can’t make these Coconut Rum Mojitos without getting the classic “Lime in the Coconut” song stuck in my head. I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed if you put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up!
At parties I’ve served both these and my peach mojitos and they’re always a hit.
Coconut Rum Mojitos Recipe
I love mixed drinks in the summer, especially mojitos. Refreshing, cooling mint and coconut lime is a classic summer flavor – tropical yet not as sweet as some other tropical flavor combinations.
You can swap out the coconut cream for coconut milk or coconut water as desired (for slightly different tastes and textures) but one thing that can’t be substituted is fresh mint – it’s absolutely essential in this recipe!
Mint extract would not do this recipe justice so I would skip the mint entirely and just make a coconut rum punch if you don’t have fresh mint available.
What is simple syrup and why do I need it?
Have you ever had a glass of cold iced tea and tried stirring a teaspoon of granulated sugar into it? Yeah. It doesn’t dissolve well in cold water. That’s where simple syrup comes in. You boil the sugar and water together to create a simple sweetener that is commonly used in cocktails, but also great in iced tea!
I made my own quick lime-infused simple syrup to make this coconut mojito recipe but if you’re in a pinch, either use plain simple syrup or a sprinkle of superfine sugar.
To make the lime-infused simple syrup, I combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken.
I then add the zest of a lime to the pan and take it off of the heat. The lime syrup is delicious in this recipe, but also makes a great base for homemade limeade or in addition to desserts!
Ingredients to Make Coconut Rum Mojitos
You will need:
- 1-2 teaspoons lime simple syrup (or plain)
- Handful mint (about 8 sprigs)
- 3 oz rum
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- Club soda, to taste
- Extra lime juice, to taste
Note: to make enough simple syrup for this recipe, you will need 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and the zest of 1 lime.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful:
Now you’ve learned how to make a mojito! If you need me, I’ll be blasting the song and drinking Coconut Mojitos on the deck all summer long! Share these Coconut Rum Mojitos with a friend to get the song stuck in their head, too!
Coconuts scream summer, and what better way to throw a summer picnic or BBQ than with these coconut rum mojitos and this Coconut Cream Lush dessert? Another thing that screams summer is a Pina Colada. I hope you have a great summer!
Coconut Lime Mojitos
- 8 leaves fresh mint
- 1 wheel lime cut in half
- 2 teaspoons lime simple syrup or plain
- 3 oz coconut rum or regular white
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- 3 oz club soda
- Extra lime juice to taste
- 1 wheel lime
- 1 sprig mint
- 1 tsp flaked coconut
- Place mint and lime in a tall glass and carefully muddle together to release the mint oils and fresh juice.
- Fill glass 1/2 full with ice over the muddled ingredients.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in simple syrup, rum, and cream of coconut. Shake for 20 seconds then strain into glass.
- Top off drink with club soda and stir carefully.
- Adjust to taste with a squeeze of fresh lime juice if you like.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and a sprig of mint. You can also add a dollop of coconut flakes on top!