Egg Salad with Chives

I actually meant to post about this last week, but was a little rushed with work, so this week it is :)

In my front yard, well it’s in the front but really off to the side, there’s a huge tree. Underneath that tree that are tons of wild chive plants growing. I noticed them last summer and used some then. They actually look terrible when you drive by, they look like big tufts of grass growing sporadically in the yard.

So right after Easter, to use up by leftover Easter eggs, I made some egg salad and added some chives. Very tasty!
Yesterday, I went outside and trimmed a bunch of them down and snipped, cleaned and stored some for later use. I think that’s some pretty thrifty herbs :)

Egg Salad with Chives
6 boiled egg, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or to taste)
2 tbsp dijon mustard
salt & pepper to taste
1 small dill pickle, chopped
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
Combine all ingredients and keep refrigerated in a tightly covered container.
What frugal things did you do this week?
PLEASE ONLY ADD YOUR LINK IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THRIFTY THURSDAY. To participate, simply add the link to your thrifty post below and link back to this Thrifty Thursday post from yours. Leave a comment and visit the other TT links to comment on theirs. That’s it! :)

15 Responses to Egg Salad with Chives

I’ve posted several thrifty tips these week on Old Fashioned Tips! Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s.

Bev says:

That egg salad looks so delish!

Alta says:

You know, I’ve seen those in front yards around my neighborhood, never thought about the possibility of them being wild chives! What have I done that was thrifty this week? I declared “no grocery shopping” this week. We had enough stuff stored that we could make it without. So Monday, we had black beans and rice (which probably cost about $5 for 4 people), and I’ve made a pasta dish using pantry ingredients, and last night made some macaroni and cheese to use up the chipotle peppers and cheese in the fridge!

Kelly says:

Oh, how I love chives! I use them in eggs, cream sauces, and in rubs for steak and pork. Now I have a new way to use them! Thanks for the delish recipe!

Rachel says:

Your egg salad looks wonderful! I never thought to add chives!

Cheri Sicard says:

I love chives. You are luck y to have them growing wild. This week I have tips ad recipes for making your own calorie and portion controlled meals for your freezer at the Fabulous Foods blog and at the Fabulous Living blog I have directions for making handy little picnic packs to keep in the car or backpack, so you can always take advantage of frugal outdoor dining options.

Heidi says:

This sounds so good. Great idea taking advantage of something you already have. That is best for saving lots of money!

Tami says:

Great find, Amanda! I would’ve had no idea that those “weeds” were chives! The best part is that it’s FREE! MMM! Sour cream and chives on a baked potato–now I’m hungry!

pinkstripes says:

How cool! I wish I had access to wild chives.

Bunny says:

I would never have thought that they were chives, how did you know that?? I wonder how they got there?? Great idea Amanda!!

The Blonde Duck says:

That’s a great idea!

AmyRuth says:

Hey Amanda,
    I read you are interviewing Dore? How awesome is that? Wow!!!
    I love your “freebies” in the front yard! So neat, makes you wonder if there was a garden there at some time, back in the day.
    Your blog is amazing! Lots of interest.
    AmyRuth

Bev thanks!

Alta – I did that last week too, we used up a lot of our pantry items!

Kelly, Cheri, Heidi, Tami, pinkstripes, Blond Duck and Rachel thanks!

Bunny – When I noticed them last year I knew they weren’t grass because of how much taller they were and how they were growing in tufts. All I had to do was pick some of the aroma of the chives were all over my hands. I looked them up on the internet to be sure!

AmyRuth – Yes, how fun to interview Dorie! :) I’m looking forward to getting her answers, should be talking to her on the phone as well. :)

Cookie says:

Hi there. I just discovered your blog and love the idea of Thrifty Thursdays! I pretty much refuse to buy any groceries that aren’t on sale cuz I know eventually they’ll go sale! Like I held off on buying ground beef last week for $3 a pound and this week it was only $1.69 a pound and I bought 2! :)

Sippity Sup says:

Wild chives sounds like heaven!! GREG