Broccoli salad has been around a long time. I remember eating variations of it at office birthday parties and for special get-togethers. Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables, raw or cooked, it’s in my top ten.
While I’ve made a Broccoli Slaw and an Asian Broccoli Salad before, I’m in love with this classic broccoli salad.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
Broccoli salad is a popular dish to pass at just about any type of gathering. The flavorful mix of broccoli, bacon, cheese, and onion play off the savory brown spicy mustard, dried dill, and vinegar. This creates a deliciously fresh dish that everyone will want seconds of!
This broccoli salad was inspired by Gayle’s Broccoli Salad on Jessie’s blog. I made a couple minor changes, adjusting the amount of mayonnaise and adding in some mustard. I also added some cracked pepper, dried dill, and changed out the type of cheese. I’ve also used Tarragon vinegar instead of white before with this recipe, so whichever you’d prefer will work fine.
This is such an easy recipe and totally a crowd pleaser, everyone loved it! Thanks, Jessie for a great recipe to add to my collection!
FIND THE FULL PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE AT THE END OF THIS POST.
Ingredients for Broccoli Salad
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 medium white onion or red onion
- 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into broccoli florets
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown spicy mustard
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar (or you can use apple cider vinegar(
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Making Broccoli Salad
First, cook your bacon. Drain, dice, and set it aside.
In a medium bowl combine dressing ingredients using a whisk. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and place into a large bowl. Add onion, cheese, and bacon and toss it together. Drizzle with the dressing and mix to coat well.
Store covered in the refrigerator until it’s ready to be served!
NOTE: We photographed this salad without letting it sit, hence the pooled dressing. Dressing will soak into the vegetables as it rests.
Looking for more recipes like this broccoli salad to bring to your next potluck, BBQ, or gathering? Check out some of our favorites below!
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked then diced
- 1/2 cup Monetary jack cheese diced
- 1 cup onion 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 3 1/2 cup broccoli 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons brown spicy mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Dice bacon, cook and drain, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces and place into a large bowl. Add onion, cheese and bacon, toss. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat well.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This post was originally published here on June 4, 2012