Kale Chips are a savory, healthier-for-you than potato chips snack which can be easily customized to your tastes. It only takes a few ingredients, regular olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and optional Italian four-cheese blend and 20 minutes to roast, to make these delicious Kale Chips!
Are you looking for a healthy snack that’s tasty AND a superfood? Well, you came to the right place. These kale chips are savory and delicious, plus they are incredibly easy to customize to just about any flavor.
Kale promotes a regular digestive tract and is packed with healthy nutrients like vitamins B & C, along with many other health benefits! It’s been a popular choice for adding to green smoothies, and soups like this Zuppa Toscana recipe.
If you have every seen Kale Chips in the store, you will notice that they are always SO expensive! On top of that, you usually don’t get a large amount of them in the packaging. Making them at home is so easy that you will never want to buy them in the store again.
How to Make Kale Chips
In these photos that you see, I used just regular olive oil, Maldon sea salt, and fresh ground pepper, plus to make them extra special, I sprinkled and shredded Italian four-cheese blend. After being coated, they are roasted in the oven for about 20 minutes or more, and what you get are these crisp, flavorful snacks. It’s that easy!
You can swap kale chips instead of potato chips for a more healthy snack. Did you know that per cup, kale has more calcium than milk? Not to mention that this is a great way to get your daily servings of vegetables.
Ingredients you’ll need
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, ripped or cut into smaller, bite-size pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or pepper medley, or amount to taste
- optional: 1/4 cup grated Italian four-cheese blend for topping – the mixture I use had Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan and Provolone
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 2 rimmed baking sheets
- 2 silicone baking mats (or you can bake in shifts if you need more than one baking sheet), parchment paper or aluminum foil to line the baking sheet
- cutting board
- chef’s knife for chopping kale
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
If you try and like these chips, please give a rating and let us know in the comments below, thank you for reading and following along!
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 bunch Kale stems removed, ripped into smaller "chip-size" pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil regular
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or pepper medley or amount to taste
- 1/4 cup Italian four-cheese shredded cheese blend Asigio, Fontina, Parmesan and Provolone- optional, or same amount favorite shredded cheese, amount to taste
- Preheat the oven for 325 degrees F. Line 2 sheets with silicone baking mats (or parchment or aluminum) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add prepared kale and drizzle the 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over it. Using your clean hands "massage" the kale until it is coated. If the bunch of kale is large, you may have to do this in batches. Spread the massaged kale over a lined baking sheet evenly (you might need 2 if the kale bunch is very full).
- Evenly sprinkle the sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and optional cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the kale is crispy. Using tongs, you may need to move the kale chips around to ensure that it is evenly roasting.
- When they reach your desired crispyness, enjoy them as a snack or appetizer.