Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Breakfast cake, coffee cake, whatever you want to call it, it’s overflowing with blueberries and absolutely delicious. The crumb topping really is enough for this, but I always have to have a pretty white drizzle on top. :) However, you can certainly leave it off if you like. I would imagine this would be good with other fruits too, such as raspberries, sour cherries, blackberries, or cranberries in the fall.

No matter what fruit you decide on, definitely add this to your “to do” list! You can play around with it too. if you decide to use cherries, add in a bit of almond extract. If using cranberries, I would add a few fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. If you use a tangy fruit like sour cherries or cranberries, you might want to add the drizzle for added sweetness.

Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Recipe from Annie’s Recipes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

TOPPING:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (I used ground hazelnuts I had in the freezer)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine

DRIZZLE
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of milk (more or less to get to a drizzling consistency)

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder. Add egg, milk, butter and lemon peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the blueberries. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.

For topping, combine sugar, flour, walnuts and cinnamon in a mini food processor or bowl. Add butter and process, or cut in if doing by hand, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.

For drizzle, combine the powdered sugar and milk. If too thick, add a few drops of additional milk at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency. Drizzles over the top of the cake and allow to sit until sugar solidifies.

Note: I made mine the night before, covered it with foil and we enjoyed it the next morning, but this would make a great snack cake or dessert cake as well. Perfect!

More from me you might like:
Fresh Raspberry Lemonade
Blackberry Pie Squares
Cranberry Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Cranberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Great stuff from around the interwebs:
Blueberry Buttermilk Ice Cream – from Eggs, cream and honey
Blueberry Cheese Danish Cake – from Modern Comfort Food
Kiwi Blueberry Cream Cheese Tart – from The Other Side of Fifty
Blueberry Lemon Muffins – from Never Enough Thyme

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

37 Responses to Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Amber DeGrace says:

Oh dear. Dear me. These look absolutely delightful and I believe I've dribbled some drool onto my keyboard …

Snooky doodle says:

oh my!! this cake surely looks mouth watering :)

Jennifurla says:

How divine…I do have some blueberries in my fridge

jose manuel says:

Esto realmente se ve divino, que delicia de bizcocho.

Me copio tu receta con tú permiso. Saludos

Mags says:

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe here that I didn't think was just wonderful. I love coffee cakes and this one looks delicious!

Jenn @ BentoForKidlet says:

Yummy!! I like cake for breakfast :D this is going on my to-do list for sure!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

You sure love your drizzles don't you? This looks great!!

Sue Sparks says:

This would certainly get anyone out of bed in the morning! It sounds delicious and looks divine!

Mo 'Betta says:

This looks soooo good! Better than the peach muffins I made today (that my kids wouldn't eat!), def. adding to my "to do" list! Thanks for the great posts and hunger-inspiring pics ;)

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

You always know how to hit my sweet spot with your baking. I'd be perfectly happy to have this delicious looking cake for dessert too.

Barbara Bakes says:

I love coffeecakes like this, especially with a drizzle on top.

Carol says:

This looks delicious, Amanda……..I sure would love a piece of this for breakfast-it would go great with my freshly made cup of coffee….. :)

Carol

megan says:

Give me the drizzle! Looks awesome! Too bad my oven is broke. I bought a watermelon extract and new food coloring to make your watermelon cookies and now the oven is broke. So now anything baked is in my future. :(

Deeba PAB says:

Oooooh I like this. SU'd!

The added drizzle looks fantastic and sounds delish.

RecycleCindy says:

Looks so tasty and yummy!

Kelly Polizzi says:

oh wow, this looks so good. I love all your photos of food!

Heather Davis says:

This looks amazing Amanda! Yum.

Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Oh does this look great! Reminds me of Bojangles BoBerry Biscuit!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Wow, Amanda, this really does look amazing. I'm sure it would be delicious with a good strong cup of coffee. Yum!

Maria says:

I wish I was eating this right now! Yum!

shelley c. says:

This looked so good, I have been waiting for an opportunity to try it, and today was the day. I used a combination of blueberries and strawberries, and I just now pulled it out of the oven and BOY does it look and smell good. I wonder if we will be able to wait for breakfast tomorrow?? I have a feeling it may wind up being dessert tonight. :)

So happy to hear that Shelley! Maybe I should make it again :) YUM!

This looks terrific. I'm making it now. Out of milk, so I'll use 1/2 n 1/2, and almonds instead of walnuts. (That's what we do, use the pantry.) I'll let you know how it comes out. I can hardly wait.

I hope you enjoyed it Anon! :)

kayla says:

This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to give it a try (got to get some blueberries first)! :)

Sally says:

I made this for my mom's group this morning, and it was DEVOURED!! SO yummy! I will def be making this again. I only had skim milk, so I used that and half and half. I used frozen berries right out of the freezer, and I baked it in a stone pan, so it only took about 25 min to bake.

[...] morning, I decided it was time to bring the camera into the kitchen as I worked on this delicious blueberry breakfast cake recipe. Try it yourself and let us know what you [...]

I love blueberries! Looks fab!

Oh, how delicious! It would be just perfect with this lovely cup of tea I just brewed. And thanks a million for including a link to my blueberry lemon muffins.

[...] from me you might like: Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake Blueberry Breakfast Cake Cranberry Pumpkin Coffee Cake More from the internet: Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake - from Baking and [...]

Mary V. says:

What size pan do you use? I must be overlooking something. Thanks!

[…] Blueberry Smoothie from Do.Food.Better 3. Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie from Food Done Light 4. Blueberry Breakfast Cake from Amanda’s Cookin’ 5. Blueberry Cornmeal Waffles with Blueberry Butter from Call Me […]

maria says:

We made this cake and it was TERRIBLE… a waste of ingredients, time & very frustrating. The dough was too thick, it never rose, and tasted like not properly cooked dough. Is there an ingredient missing?

• 34.1

Sorry yours didn’t turn out Maria. All the ingredients are there and there are several commenters that made it successfully. I’m not sure what could have went wrong with yours. Is it possible you missed an ingredient or accidentally mismeasured somethin? Did you substitute any of the ingredients?