Move over cereal, there’s a new weekday breakfast in town! This easy breakfast casserole with ham, cheese, and potatoes is a fulfilling way to start the day. It serves four and is so simple to make everyone will think you were up half the night preparing it, like to this hash brown breakfast casserole. Casseroles are perfect for weekend mornings or holiday mornings, you just can’t go wrong!
Breakfast Casserole with Ham and Cheese
Until recently, I always thought of breakfast casseroles as a weekend breakfast perfect for serving a crowd like my Ham and Broccoli Strata or Tex-Mex Breakfast Bake. That’s still true, but now I have a simple and scaled-back breakfast casserole that is so easy you can make it during the week.
Seems crazy, right? Well, it doesn’t have to be and with a little planning, a hot breakfast casserole with ham and cheese could be your new favorite way to kick off a Monday morning.
And when I say “planning” there’s really not that much. Prepping the casserole ingredients takes all of ten minutes, but it does need 30-40 minutes in the oven. If making it the same morning, plan your time so the casserole is baking while you and your family are getting ready for the day.
Too much of a stretch? Well, in that case, bake it the night before and warm up individual slices the next morning. Either way, the hands-on time is almost nothing.
Thanks to some pre-prepped ingredients like diced ham and store-bought hash browns, there’s very little actual work that goes into making this breakfast casserole with ham and cheese. You’ll need just one bowl to prepare the eggs and everything else is layered in a baking dish.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need to make a Breakfast Casserole with Ham
- Hash browns: Look for bags of refrigerated hash browns. Using pre-seasoned ones cuts down on the work, but if you want to customize the flavors buy plain ones and put your spice cabinet to good use.
- Cheddar cheese: I prefer to buy blocks of cheddar of cheese and shred them myself using a food processor (I do this the same day I buy it and keep it in a ziplock in the refrigerator) because I find it melts better, but pre-shredded cheese works and makes it even easier.
- Diced ham: Look for it in the deli section at the store.
- The egg mixture has a little milk, salt and pepper, and some chopped parsley.
This easy breakfast casserole with ham and cheese is so simple to make and once you cut into all the delicious layers and melted cheese you’ll want to make this your go-to breakfast every week.
For more popular breakfast recipes, try this blueberry breakfast cake! Favorited by many for obvious reasons, this breakfast cake is perfect alongside a cup of joe or tea.
If you’re typically in a rush in the morning, you’ll want to check out this coffee smoothie. Packed with whole grains, fruit, protein, and coffee this smoothie will leave you feeling energized and ready to conquer the day. Oh, and it’s ready in 5 minutes!
Easy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This easy breakfast casserole with ham, cheese, and potatoes is a fulfilling way to start the day.
- Cooking spray
- 10 ounces seasoned hash browns see note
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Place the hash browns in an even layer in the baking dish. Top with the cheese and ham.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, seasonings, and parsley in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the ham cheese and potatoes. Bake the casserole for 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
Look for refrigerated shredded hash browns at the grocery store. If you can't find them you can use frozen, but thaw them in the bag before using.