This Strawberry Salsa is naturally sweet, savory, refreshing and crisp. It has strawberries, a little heat from 1 jalapeño pepper, crisp red onion, with cilantro and optional maple syrup. Enjoy this full-flavored, fruit salsa that has garden-fresh flavors in an incredibly simple salsa recipe!
It’s Strawberry season! Do you have access to someone that grows strawberries or have strawberry farms near you? Take the opportunity to pick your own or you can also support your local farmer’s market.
Fresh Strawberries are truly a treat! I find them to be sweeter and fuller in flavor compared to their grocery store counterparts.
Strawberry season (for us in NJ) is as early as May 20th. It lasts from June 1st to June 10th and as late as June 25th. This Strawberry Salsa would be perfect for your Memorial Day party!
My friends, this Strawberry Salsa may seem unusual for a salsa but it does not disappoint in flavor! The combination of cilantro, strawberries, crisp red onion, limes is amazing. Add the bit of heat from the jalapeño pepper and it makes for a full-flavored appetizer.
You can make this recipe ahead (overnight at most) or make it and serve right away. This recipe does not need any time to marinate, it’s better served right away or with a shorter marination time. If you prefer to serve it cold, you can chill it for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for Strawberry Salsa
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, tops removed and diced, (plus more for garnishing at serving, if you wish)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to garnish, if you wish
- 1/4 cup lime juice (juice of 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (from 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
- optional: fresh ground black pepper
- optional: 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or more to sweeten
Kitchen Tools for Strawberry Salsa
- medium-large mixing bowl
- wet measure
- measuring spoons and cups
- serving bowl
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- citrus juicer
I know you will love this Strawberry Salsa recipe! Let me know what occasion you decide to serve it for in the comments below :)
This strawberry salsa is eye-catching with it’s bright red and pops of green colors. If you serve this for any gathering, I guarantee you will see the bottom of the bowl before you know it!
This recipe is inspired by Mango Salsa here on Amanda’s Cookin’, another sweet and savory salsa recipe made with fresh fruit! Our Pineapple Salsa is another good option for potlucks, BBQ’s, or any summer gathering!
- 1 pound strawberries washed, tops removed and diced, (plus more for garnishing at serving, if you wish)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to garnish, if you wish
- 1/4 cup lime juice juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or more to taste
- optional: fresh ground black pepper
- optional: 1 tablespoon maple syrup or more to sweeten
- In a large mixing bowl, combine diced strawberries, minced jalapeño pepper, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and Kosher salt. Gently stir to combine. If you need it to be sweeter, you can add 1 tablespoon maple syrup or amount to taste. If you need it to be more savory, you can add more salt, a pinch at a time. Fresh ground pepper optional. Serve right away or chill (overnight at the most). Enjoy!
You can make ahead (overnight at most) or make it and serve right away. This recipe does not need any time to marinate - if you prefer to serve it cold, you can chill it for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
This post originally appeared here on Jun 2, 2018.