While my all time favorite upside down cake is definitely pineapple, banana is good too and so are berries. I’ve make raspberry upside down cake and it was delicious, so I decided to go with blueberry this time. I actually made this twice because the first time I used too many blueberries and there was more fruit than cake!
This is an easy recipe and actually comes out of the pan a lot easier than other upside down cakes I’ve made. Not sure if it’s because blueberries are so much smaller or what the reason is, but if you are a blueberry fan you will want to try this.
Easy Blueberry Upside Down Cake
I used a cake mix because it’s faster. These days even though I love to I haven’t had a lot of time to bake from scratch, work has demanded a lot of my time. Boxed cake mix is the perfect solution. You can doctor them up and give them unique twists, while still keeping preparation time down. I love easy desserts, and if you’re looking for another to add to your arsenal, try my Pineapple Dream Dessert, I know you’ll love it!
Note: some links below are affiliate links. That means if you happen to buy something, a small percentage of that sale goes back into this site, which enables me to continue to bring you free recipes such as this one. So, thanks!
For this recipe you will need the following supplies and ingredients:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, prepared
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 pints (3 cups) blueberries (fresh or Frozen)
For this cake I used:
My KitchenAid mixer and a glass 13×9 baking pan. I also turned my cake out onto a wood cutting board, but a large platter would be great if you’re entertaining and presentation is important. I think the one pictured here is gorgeous!
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a 13×9 baking pan onto a cookie sheet.
- Prepare the batter for the cake mix according to the box directions. Set aside.
- Cut up butter and place it in the baking pan. Place baking pan in preheated oven for 3-4 minutes, or until butter has melted. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle melted butter with brown sugar and use a fork to evenly distribute.
- Pour blueberries on top of brown sugar and spread around in an even layer.
- Pour prepared cake batter over the blueberries.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on to large flat plate.
More upside down cake recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake in a baking pan
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake
- Banana Upside Down Muffins
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake from Recipe Critic
- Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake from Saveur