I bought some raspberries for a different recipe and definitely bought too many. While I love to snack on fresh raspberries, I thought I would try a cake too. Who knew a recipe using Bisquick would be so good? I actually used my homemade master mix for this recipe.
MY NOTES: Very easy to assemble. I’ve made pineapple upside down cake many times and definitely took longer to put the raspberries on that it does to put pineapple on, but the presentation alone was worth it. What I found refreshing about making this out of Bisquick instead of a standard cake recipe was that it wasn’t overly sweet. Just sweet enough to be good and the raspberries add a wonderful little twang that offsets the sweetness. Yum! This is actually a great breakfast cake in my opinion. The recipe suggests serving warm with whip cream (maybe ice cream too), but I had a piece of this cake this morning after being in the refrigerator all night and it was wonderful chilled!
Raspberry Upside Down Cake
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds I measured these out and forgot to put them on!
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick Original baking mix or my master mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream if desired
- Heat oven to 350 F. Heat margarine in round pan, 9x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 inches, in oven until melted. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar evenly over melted margarine. Arrange raspberries with open ends up over sugar mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
- Beat remaining ingredients except whipped cream in medium bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over raspberries.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof serving plate; leave pan over cake a few minutes. Remove pan. Let cake stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Not recommended for use.