A Long Island Iced Tea, despite its name, does not contain any iced tea at all. It gets its name from the amber color that the mixing of several alcohols, along with cola, provides. Serve this cocktail in a pitcher for a party, or mix them up in single tall glasses. Either way, you can’t go wrong!
Just like a classic Margarita, this cocktail is one of the most popular around.
Long Island Iced Tea
This drink is famous, no doubt about it. You do have to be careful when enjoying a Long Island Iced Tea because the alcohol content is quite a bit higher than most highball drinks. So be sure to enjoy them responsibly.
Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
This popular drink is made by combining vodka, tequila, rum, and triple sec, then mixing those with sweet and sour mix. Everything is topped off with cola and served in a tall glass over ice. It looks like iced tea, but it’s not.
Ingredients you will need:
- The spirits in this drink include equal parts of vodka, tequila, light rum, and triple sec.
- You will also need sweet and sour mix and your favorite brand of cola.
- A lemon is used for garnish, part of the “iced tea appearance”.
Helpful cocktail mixing tools:
How to Make a Long Island Iced Tea
- Start by filling a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, and sweet and sour mix.
- Attach the lid and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds.
- Strain shaker over ice into a highball or Tom Collins glass.
- Top the cocktail with your favorite cola and garnish the glass with a lemon wheel.
Remember, this cocktail packs a wallop, so consume responsibly and make sure you have a designated driver if not drinking at home. There’s a lot of alcohol in a Long Island Iced Tea, and if you’re drinking it through a straw it will hit you a lot faster than you might think!
More Mixed Drinks You Might Like
I have lots and lots of cocktails on this blog. So if you’re thirty, check out all my cocktail recipes here. I’ve chosen a few of my favorites below.
Long Island Iced Tea
- 1/2 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz light rum
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1 1/2 oz sweet and sour mix
- 1 oz Cola more or less to top off drink
- Lemon for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all the ingredients but the cola and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds.
- Strain shaker over ice in glass.
- Top with cola and garnish with lemon.