This easy breakfast casserole with ham and cheese is so simple to make. Once you cut into the delicious layers and melted cheese you’ll want to make this your go-to breakfast every week.
Why this recipe works
Using diced ham and store-bought hash browns makes it very easy to make this breakfast casserole with ham and cheese. You’ll need just one bowl to prep the eggs and everything else is layered in a baking dish. Prepping the casserole ingredients takes all of ten minutes, but it does need 30-40 minutes in the oven. A little prep helps so the casserole is baking while you and your family are getting ready for the day.
This casserole is great for using leftover ham from the holidays. For Thanksgiving, we make this turkey hashbrown casserole the following morning and post Christmas or Easter, we whip up this ham and cheese version.
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
Ingredient Info and Substitution Suggestions
HASH BROWNS – Look for bags of refrigerated hash browns. Using pre-seasoned ones cuts down on the work. If you want to customize the flavors buy plain ones and put your spice cabinet to good use.
CHEESE – I prefer to buy blocks of cheddar of cheese and shred them myself using a food processor. Do this the same day you buy it and keep it in a zipper bag in the refrigerator. I find it melts better, but pre-shredded cheese works and makes it even easier.
HAM AND ADDITIONS– Look for it in the deli section at the store. The egg mixture has a little milk, salt and pepper, and some chopped parsley. Bell peppers are not included here, but they would be a great addition!
How to Make Breakfast Casserole
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Place the hash browns in an even layer in the baking dish. Top with the cheese and ham.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, seasonings, and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ham, cheese, and potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
Frequently Asked Questions & Expert Tips
Absolutely! You can bake it the night before and refrigerate it overnight. Quickly warm up individual slices the next morning and it will still taste delicious.
Seal the casserole with an air-tight lid or tightly covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or frozen for 2-3 months.
This easy breakfast casserole with ham, cheese, and potatoes is a fulfilling way to start the day. This breakfast casserole serves four. Casseroles are perfect for weekend mornings or holiday mornings, you just can’t go wrong!
A few simple additions like chopped onion, green pepper, and bacon would elevate this breakfast casserole even more, so feel free to experiment with what you like!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Pizza
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Ham and Broccoli Strata
- Tex-Mex Breakfast Bake
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Corned Beef Hash
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!
Breakfast Casserole with Ham and Cheese
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It Text It
- Cooking spray
- 10 oz seasoned hash browns see note
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz ham diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk 2%
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
Things You’ll Need
Before You Begin
- Look for refrigerated shredded hash browns at the grocery store. If you can’t find them you can use frozen, but thaw them in the bag before using.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Place the hash browns in an even layer in the baking dish. Top with the cheese and ham.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, seasonings, and parsley in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the ham cheese and potatoes. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
This post originally appeared on this blog on Aug 25, 2017 and has since been updated with new photos.