This Memorial Day or Fourth of July, make these super easy American Flag Kabobs along with our Mini Shortcake Cups to serve to friends and family. Fruit kabobs are delicious and a nice alternative dessert, especially for those trying to get more fruit in their diet.
Make American Flag Kabobs with Fresh Fruit
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to all the dessert options out there, or just want a cool centerpiece for your patriotic party, these American Flag Fruit Kabobs are perfect!
Different ways to make flag kabobs
- We used strawberries and some big blackberries for our flag, but you could use raspberries or cherries for the red stripes, and blueberries for the blue field of the flag.
- For the white stripes we used angel food cake. Some alternatives include pound cake, sliced bananas (thought they will brown, so they would have to be eaten fairly quickly), coconut chunks or marshmallows.
- We used wooden skewers, but if you choose to use coconut chunks, you will probably need metal skewers as the wooden ones would be difficult to get through the coconut flesh.
What you will need:
- Fresh strawberries, tops and tips sliced off then halved
- Fresh blackberries
- Angel food cake, cubed (browned edges trimmed off)
Kitchen tools you will find helpful
Dip ideas for your flag kabobs
- Whipped Cream – Beat one cup of heavy whipping cream with a tablespoon of powdered sugar in a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Lemon Curd – You can buy a jar, or try this homemade lemon curd recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod.
- Chocolate Mousse – Who does’t like chocolate and strawberries? This chocolate mousse recipe is delicious, but it does use raw eggs. You can buy pasteurized eggs to use in this recipe.
- Tiramisu Cream – This sweet, creamy filling is perfect for dipping. You can grab the recipe from our Tiramisu Trifle.
- Pudding Cheesecake – Pudding, cream cheese and whipped topping make a delicious dip. Just follow step 1 in our Lemon Blueberry Trifle.
These US flag fruit kabobs will make a beautiful centerpiece for your Memorial Day or 4th of July party table. It’s easy to make and everyone will compliment you on your creativity! If you need more dessert ideas for your picnics and barbecues, try our very popular chocolate lasagna and pineapple dream desserts. We have TONS of other no-bake desserts, so be sure and check them all out!
American Flag Kabobs
This Memorial Day or Fourth of July, make these super easy American Flag Kabobs to serve at your party. Fruit kabobs are a nice alternative dessert!
- Fresh strawberries tops and tips sliced off then halved
- Fresh blackberries
- Angel food cake cubed (browned edges trimmed off)
- 8 skewers
On 4 of the skewers, thread three strawberries and three cubes of cake, alternating each one. Then thread on 4 blackberries.
On remaining 4 skewers, thread strawberries and cake, alternating each one. Your skewer should begin and end with a strawberry.
Place on a platter, lining up the first four skewers next to each other, then the remaining skewers to the right.
This post was originally published on May 22, 2017