This grilled shrimp recipe is easy and delicious, and of course, perfect for summer. A simple marinade of lime, garlic, and cilantro makes this grilled shrimp plump and flavorful.
I’ve adapted my Chile Lime Shrimp to make this wonderful grilling favorite.
Why we grill our shrimp on skewers
Whether you call them skewers or grilled shrimp kabobs, this method makes them super easy to serve. This recipe is perfect for a barbecue, especially if you have guests that don’t eat red meat. You could also use a grilling basket!
The marinade that I love
My grilled shrimp recipe is the same one that I use for the skillet, I love the marinade that much! I’ll share my grilled shrimp marinade, but it doesn’t have to be just for shrimp. This marinade is great for chicken and fish too.
Related Shrimp Recipe – Shrimp Pasta
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
- I always use peeled and deveined shrimp because deveining them myself is not something I like to do.
- Fresh squeezed lime juice is best, though lemon juice is fine too. Bottled juice may have additives that are not good for you. Plus fresh tastes better.
- You’ll need some regular chili powder for the marinade. If you prefer your food a little spicier, feel free to add some cayenne pepper as well.
- Fresh garlic cloves will give you the freshest flavor, but bottled chopped garlic is fine as well. However, don’t use dried garlic flakes.
- Chopped fresh cilantro adds a wonderful flavor element. However, if you don’t like cilantro, fresh parsley is a good replacement.
- I use extra virgin olive oil, but other oils would work as well.
TIP: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the shrimp is marinating, 20-30 minutes.
Helpful kitchen tools:
How to Prep Your Shrimp
- First, combine the lime juice, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Whisk the ingredients well.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade and turn them a few times to coat. Marinate the shrimp for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and drain on paper towels.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers, 4-6 shrimp per skewer.
How to Grill Shrimp
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. Please scroll down to simply print out the recipe!
The biggest mistake that people make is not understanding how long to grill shrimp. Cooking it for too long will make the meat rubbery. Shrimp will go from gray to pink when cooked. Here’s how to cook shrimp on the grill.
- Add canola oil to a wad of paper towel. Grasp the oiled towel with tongs and oil the grill grates.
- Cook the shrimp on the hot grill for 3 minutes on one side.
- Turn the shrimp over and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
These are delicious as is, but they would also be awesome for making grilled shrimp tacos! You can use flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
More Grilling Recipes
I love to cook on the grill. I use my grill all year long, not just during the warm months. Because of that, it’s important to clean the grill regularly.
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Asparagus
- How to Make Pizza on the Grill
- Get all the grill recipes in one place
- Grilled Steak
- Greek Chicken Kabobs
And if you’re a shrimp lover like me, don’t miss my shrimp cocktail!
I love to bake and cook and share my recipes with you! I know it’s hard to remember to come back and search, so I’ve made it easy for you with my weekly newsletter! You can subscribe for free and I’ll send you delicious recipes every week right to your email.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Sautéed Shrimp
- Shrimp Tacos
- Crispy Shrimp
- Chile Lime Shrimp
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Shrimp Kabobs
- Butterfly Shrimp
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 tablespoons lime juice 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic 3 cloves
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine lime juice, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro and mix well.
- Add shrimp and turn to coat.
- Marinate shrimp for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and drain on paper towels.
- Thread onto skewers, 4-6 shrimp per skewer.
- Add canola oil to a wad of paper towel. Grasp oiled towel with tongs and oil the grill grates.
- Cook shrimp in hot grill for 3 minutes on one side.
- Turn shrimp over and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Expert Tips & FAQs
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Italian Lasagna - March 20, 2023
- KFC Coleslaw Copycat - March 13, 2023
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes - March 7, 2023
Diane Button says
Made this for my family – even the grandkids loved it! LOVE