These American Flag Brownies are easy to make, especially if you choose to use a box mix. You can make brownies from scratch if you prefer, either way works! This is a great dessert for your Memorial Day or 4th of July barbecue.
Tips for Making Perfect Brownies
- The hardest part about making brownies is judging when they are actually done without making the edges too hard. To test to see if the brownies are done, poke a toothpick into the center of the brownies (not near an edge). For fudge-like brownies, you want there to be some crumbs still stuck to the toothpick, but it should not look like batter. For cake-like brownies, the toothpick should come out clean. Many people consider “cake-like” to be overdone.
- Since all ovens vary you’ll want to play it safe and rotate the pan halfway through cooking. Try to do it quickly to minimize the amount of heat that escapes from the oven. Rotating the pan will help the brownies cook evenly, especially if your oven is hotter in one spot than another.
- When looking for visual cues, edges should look baked through and the center shouldn’t move. if you jiggle the pan the center should be set. The tops of the brownies will be shiny and in most recipes, they will appear cracked.
- It’s important to note that if you use any sort of mix-ins that melt (like chocolate chips or caramel) you may want to test with a toothpick in a few different places. If you hit a melted chocolate chip, you will pull out melted chocolate and it will not be an indicator of how done your brownies are.
RELATED: you might also like this recipe – American Flag Cupcakes
Making American Flag Brownies
Here are the things you will need to make these fun patriotic brownies for your holiday party. Be forewarned, people will compliment you when they see these flag brownies! It’s inevitable, so be ready.
You will need:
A 13×9 pan of brownies will yield 16 rectangle flags
- Prepared brownies (or make from scratch)
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh blueberries
- 2 tubes of red decorator gel
Helpful kitchen tools:
These are easy to make but do require a little time so be sure to plan for that. Your brownies should be completely cooled before decorating them, otherwise, your stripes will melt and make a mess. You may even want to make the brownies the day before and refrigerate them once they have cooled. Then you can cut and decorate them the morning of your barbecue.
These American Flag Brownies are portable too! Again, just make sure they are completely cooled before decorating and before placing a lid on the pan. If they are still warm, enclosing that heat could cause your brownies to get soggy. Better safe than sorry!
If you want to go all out for the next patriotic holiday, or maybe there’s a soldier homecoming in your future, try these fun and easy ideas as well: American Flag Fruit Kabobs and Mini Shortcake Cups.
Looking for a cocktail to pair with your dessert with for the 4th of July? Our Patriotic Vodka Lemonade Slushie recipe is the perfect option!
More Patriotic Recipes
- Patriotic Mini Cheesecakes
- Red, White and Blue Poke Cake
- Patriotic Charcuterie Board
- Patriotic Punch
- Patriotic Ice Cream Cone Cupcake
American Flag Brownies
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 box Prepared brownies or make from scratch
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 64 medium Fresh blueberries
- 2 tubes of red decorator gel
- Cut COOLED brownies into 16 (4×4) rectangles and place on cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
- Add a dollop of decorator gel to the upper left corner of each brownie.
- Gently press 4 blueberries (2 rows of 2) onto the gel.
- Add stripes with red decorator gel.
This post was originally published on this blog on May 22, 2017.