Air fryer empanadas are made with ground beef, peppers, and onion wrapped inside flaky Jiffy pie dough! These empanadas are highly customizable and make the perfect dinner or appetizer.
Why this recipe works
Who can resist a savory hand pie? Similar to our taco empanadas, we’re using ground beef, but the beauty of these air fryer empanadas is how versatile they are. The crisp crunch of the dough paired with spices and veggies is a delicious base for so many different variations. Try switching it up if you want to make ground turkey, chicken, or sausage in this recipe!
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
MEAT – This recipe is good for using up some of that ground beef you have on hand. However, if you’d like, you can substitute the beef for shredded chicken, sausage, turkey, or whatever type of ground meat you want to try.
VEGETABLES – We chose diced onion, red bell pepper, and orange bell pepper for our veggies. Some love to throw peas into the mix, as well as potatoes. You can certainly add your favorite vegetables to this dish!
DOUGH – Jiffy pie crust mix works really well for these empanadas. It’s quick, easy, and cost-effective. If you don’t have a pie crust mix, try using crescent roll dough or even biscuit dough in its place. Be sure to keep an eye on them in the air fryer and check for doneness when substituting.
How to Make Air Fryer Empanadas
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. When it’s halfway done cooking, add the pepper and onion. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the seasonings and cook for one minute. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the Jiffy pie crust with water until it’s in dough form. Roll into a log and cut into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a disc about 1/8-inch thick.
- Fill half of the disc with the cooled filling, folding over the other side of the disc, and seal using a fork around the edge.
- Spray the top of the empanadas along with the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray and cook for 8 minutes.
- Serve with pico de gallo, sour cream, lime, or fresh cilantro.
Frequently Asked Questions & Expert Tips
You can store empanadas kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply pop back in the air fryer at 350F for a few minutes until thoroughly reheated.
Sure! After assembling the empanadas, wrap them in plastic wrap and store in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 5-6 months.
These easy air fryer empanadas are great for lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer and they’re super quick to whip together. Serve them with sour cream, salsa fresca, and guacamole on the side for dipping.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Bratwurst
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!
Air Fryer Empanadas
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced, or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup white onion diced, or yellow onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 9 oz Jiffy pie crust mix 1 box
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. When it’s halfway done cooking, add the pepper and onion. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the seasonings and cook one minute. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F.
- n a large mixing bowl mix the Jiffy pie crust with water until it forms into a dough. Roll into a log and cut into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a disc about 1/8-inch thick. Fill half of the disc with the cooled filling, folding over the other side of the disc and sealing with a fork around the edge.
- Spray your air fryer with non stick cooking spray. Spray the top of the empanadas and air fry for 8 minutes.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- You can store empanadas kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply pop back in the air fryer at 350F for a few minutes until thoroughly reheated.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Italian Lasagna - March 20, 2023
- KFC Coleslaw Copycat - March 13, 2023
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes - March 7, 2023
Jeanette D says
Decent but a little too much cumin for my taste
Amanda Formaro says
Hi there! The printable recipe is at the end of the post with the full ingredient list and instructions, including the temp. 400 F
Jun Cube says
Reheat cold empanadas at 325F for 3 minutes flipping them halfway
Cooking time the same if using Goya empanada disc’s ?
Amanda Formaro says
We have not tested this recipe with Goya discs. I would suggest starting with our temp and time, but checking on them about 10 minutes before they are done.
Excellent! I made these for Cinco de Mayo and my husband absolutely loved them. Everything about them was great and especially loved the beef filling recipe.