Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops

These really aren’t made out of Play Dough, I promise! They are made from a simple sugar cookie dough tinted with paste food coloring, then rolled into balls and eventually snakes to twist up and make fun color combinations. You can find this recipe is several places, but I used some Valentine colors and shaped some into hearts. A fun treat for the kids to help make and give to their friends or teacher.

These cookies last a while too! I wrapped them in plastic wrap and tested one each day (it’s a dirty job, I know), they tasted just as good on the 6th day as they did the 1st. These were lots of fun, well received and easy to make.

Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops
adapted from All Recipes

3/4 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
assorted colors of paste food coloring
24 lollipop sticks

In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough according to however many colors you plan to use. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls and for each cookie place 3-4 different colored balls together to make 1 large ball. Roll it just enough to form a rough ball, then shape into a 12 inch long roll (like a snake).

Starting at one end, coil roll to make a 2 3/4 inch round cookie. Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Carefully insert lollipop sticks into bottoms of cookies.

For hearts, follow the instructions above. After inserting the stick, use your fingers to squeeze the dough at the bottom of the circle and combine at the stick, then use a separate lollipop stick or a butter knife to create an indent in the top and shape the heart.

Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

67 Responses to Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops

Alison says:

What a yummy and fun idea!!

Sue says:

Your cookie pops look so cute! Love the Valentine version!

Flourchild says:

Aww Amanda these look great. I miss coming to your blog, I can see your still crafting and baking!!!

Jenn @ BentoForKidlet says:

Yummy, those look like so much fun!

artsy_momma says:

Yum! I have to try these. Can I just use regular food coloring or does it have to be for paste? Thanks!

Nic :) says:

Woah! These are well cool! ♥
    thanks for sharing

artsy momma – Paste (gel) food coloring is probably your best bet with this. Liquid food coloring will change the consistency of the dough making it too wet. Then you would have to compensate with flour and you could end up with cookies that crack. Gel food colorings are available at WalMart by the Wilton cake decorating stuff, which is usually near the party supplies and craft supplies :)

Christina W. says:

I posted about this/linked to here on my new blog. I LOVE the idea and can't wait to try it with my daughter.

Maria says:

SO COOL!

SmileMonsters says:

I'd love for you to come link up.

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Nicole/Life's a Batch says:

LOVED these! I always love the look of colored dough, but I'm nervous not to dye my hands trying to do it. I just may give it a try with these… using plastic baggies, too! ;-)

@Nicole – I hold the dough in my hand, use a toothpick to grab some paste food color, slide the toothpick in the center of the dough and start folding the dough over and over itself, like kneading bread dough. Works like a charm.

These are so cute and I'm glad to know they last a long time and still taste good. Everything taste better on a stick! What a fun little cookie!

Sugar Mama says:

My daycare kids would LOVE these! I have to provide the treat for my daughter's 2nd grade Valentine part… this would be a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing! (found you from Tidy Mom)

Jerri says:

These turned out so cute! Great idea!

Erin says:

These are great! So colorful!!!

marla says:

So cute, bright & cheery too!

Afner says:

Wow, very nice job… I´lltry to make something like that for my girlfriend this feb 14th… she will sure appreciate that!

Lisa says:

These look so sweet and I love how pretty they are. You really did a great job on them. I have a new linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

Mama Peck says:

These are adorable.. a fun alternative to the traditional cut-out cookies!

creativejewishmom/sara says:

wow Amanda, these are great! At first I was disappointed when I saw the title, thinking they were really play dough….then I was happy to see they're edible. I'd love to make these using all natural food coloring which is in powder form, so I don't think that would change the consistency of the dough, yippee! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

Amanda – These look fabulous! I love all the colors. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I'll be featuring this today. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

simplydesigning.blogspot.com says:

These are so stinkin cute!!!

Ashley

Alexis AKA MOM says:

I can't wait to make these for my sons class room! Thanks so much

Jamie says:

Yummy! My kids would have a ball doing this!

sheila @ Elements says:

Those are just darling!!!!! What an awesome gift idea!! :)

Chiara says:

Darling! What a creative idea! I might use this in my son's classroom!

LocalFunForKids says:

I love them! I think I'm going to make them for my Valentine's Day play date. You should come link up at Fun for Kids Friday http://www.localfunforkids.com/

mizme's mommy says:

My MIL is in a rehab hospital after suffering a stroke. These cookies were a wonderful treat that my toddler and I made to help cheer her up. Thanks for such a yummy recipe!

Thanks for posting the recipe. They were fun to make with my 4 year old, but I sadly have to say they tasted horrible. Maybe it was the food coloring, or I'm more of a thin and crispy sugar cookie person. Sorry for the negative input.

Anon – Don't apologize! Not everyone enjoys the same things :) The first time I tasted them, shortly after they cooled, I didn't think they tasted very good. But after waiting a while they were much better. I kept my opinions quiet and waited for all the kids. They each tried and loved them, so I just didn't say anything. They certainly are of the plain variety where flavor is concerned, and I'm thinking if they weren't so pretty my kids may have actually noticed that. LOL! I'm glad you had fun making them though :)

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I've been seeing these everywhere, I love how they look. Very cutely made :)

Oh I love the new look, it's much cleaner. How did you manage to get your comment highlighted though? I couldn't find a way to do it on Blogger!

Thanks! I like the new layout too, seems much cleaner ;) Here's how to highlight author comments

Little Bean says:

I can't tell you how much I love these! I linked to you here: http://littlebeanworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/02/snowy-or-rainy-day-kid-project-cookie.html

Thank you for this post! These cookies look AND taste great. (I can hardly keep from eating the dough as I work.)
    I made these (without sticks) for Valentine's Day this year. They were such a hit I was asked to make them again! This time around I'm making more colors and am going to try some flower shapes to celebrate the coming of Spring. Thanks for the great recipe and idea! :)

Little Bean thank you so much for the link!

Anon – Thanks! I am so glad you like these, i was so happy with how easy they are. a wonderful recipe to do with kids :)

amy says:

Can I use margarine instead of butter?

Hi Amy. I have not tried margarine myself, only butter. The general consensus is that you can substitute equal amounts of margarine for butter in a baking type recipe. That said, I do want to repeat that I myself have not tried margarine in this, but I would be interested in hearing your results should you try it! :)

Would it taste better if i added more sugar?

Hi Anon – Adding more sugar, at least enough to make a difference, will change the consistency of the dough. You could certainly try it, but I don't know how successful the result would be. I like the way they taste as is, but if yo don't something you can try is to add more vanilla, or (in my opinion) better yet, add some almond extract. :)

PinkPowerRangerMom says:

I linked this up on my blog and reposted the recipe and a pic of the final products. I did give you credit and a link back so I hope that is OK. If not just let me know.
    Tracey

creative hearted says:

HI Amanda. I just saw this post and LOVE the idea to make as a treat for my son's second bday. I was wondering if I can substitute the sugar with stevia? I have a child who is sensitive to sugar consumption. Thanks!

@Pink – thank you for the link love!

@creative – Oh how I wish I could give you an educated and accurate answer to that question. I can't, but I did a google search and there were several results. Here's the search, hope it works out! I have heard Splenda can be substituted with exact measurements, but Stevia is very, very different in that you use a lot less of that.

Google search

creative hearted says:

Thanks for checking into it for me. I think to be safe I many just stick to sugar. We will see. When I make them I will also post it on my site and link it back to you as where I found the idea ; ) Thanks! I lam excited to see the results.

carolyn says:

hi amanda: i love these, and would like to make them during my turn baking with my daughter's preschool class. about how many cookies does a batch of dough make?

Hi Carolyn! This should yield 24 cookies :)

[...] might remember this cookie recipe: Valentine’s Play Dough Cookies - but they aren’t actually made with play [...]

[...] spiral cookie activity. I think he thought it was candy, the colours were so vivid. This is not your typical dessert recipe, I like mine to have low sugar and no artificial flavours or colours. But who could resist a face like this one pleading to make them “just once”  . So we did them, you can find the recipe and’ how to’ at this link http://www.amandascookin.com/2011/01/valentine-play-dough-cookie-pops.html [...]

[...] a whole one, no problem and quickly clamor for another.  You can find the recipe and instructions here, at Amanda’s Cookin’. Love those cookie [...]

Cookamama says:

Is this recipe peanut free??

• 50.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

There are no peanuts in the ingredient list, however you would need to check the ingredient lists on the products that you use.

Cindy says:

Hey how come I can’t access the st Patrick bread?? :( keeps saying its been removed :(

[...] Bites Chocolate- Peanut Butter Hearts by The Lonely Baker Love Postage Stamp Cookies by Bake at 350 Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops by Amanda’s Cookin Penguin Oreo Valentines by Gourmet Mom on the [...]

Aninda says:

Hi Amanda, they look great and I can’t wait to try them. Can I keep the dough in the fridge longer than 2 hours? Would it make the dough too hard to shape it? Thank you.

[...] Sweetheart Shortbread from Diamonds for Dessert Pink Heart Krispie Treats from Life of a Foodie Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops from Amanda’s Cookin’ More Valentine Fun on my Valentine Pinterest board More Valentine [...]

[...] Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops by Amanda's Cookin' – Looks like playdough, tastes [...]

Erin says:

After the dough is in the fridge for 2 hours, can I shape the balls ahead of time? I want to make these with my sons preschool class but would like to prep the dough and have it divided into the colored balls the night before. Can I shape the 3/4 inch balls in the evening, refrigerate them and then make the cookies the next afternoon? Will the dough get too dry? Any tips for prep/what I can do in advance would be great!

[...] Heart Chocolate Bark Chocolate Strawberry Mini Cheesecakes Pink Strawberry Cupcakes Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops Valentine’s Day Cupcakes Valentine’s Day Heart Bread Homemade Valentine Pop [...]

[…] Shaped Pancakes from One Creative Mommy 4. Chocolate Heart Lebkuchen from Savings Lifestyle 5. Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops from Amanda’s Cookin 6. Peppermint Hearts from A Family Feast 7. Strawberries & Cream […]

[…] Valentine’s Play Dough Cookie Pops from Amanda’s […]

[…] Hi! I’m Jilly 10. Friendship Bracelet Valentines from Pandora’s Deals 11. Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops from Amanda’s Cookin 12. Heart Crayon Valentines from Crystal & Co. 13. Mosaic Photo […]

[…] Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops  from Amanda’s Cookin’ […]

[…] your Kids some Valentine Play Dough Cookie Pops that they will love!  They’re […]