Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken Breasts

Juicy chicken, full of marinated flavor, and cooked on the grill to perfection. A great way to usher in spring, welcoming the warm weather by heading out to dust off your grill. This recipe is excellent in cold weather too, especially if you are a winter griller like me. The marinade is simple, and actually very similar to this lemon juice and herb marinade that I use for pork chops all the time. Both marinades will work on either meat.

This recipe uses a disposable aluminum roasting pan, but you can grill however you choose. I found this method to produce juicy, tender results. Two more of my favorite grilled chicken recipes are these Garlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets and this Chipotle chicken recipe.

Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken Breasts

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons water
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
disposable aluminum roasting pan

Whisk all marinade ingredients together and pour into a glass dish or plastic gallon zipper storage bag.

Cut 3 diagonal slits in the top of each breast, about 1/4″ deep, to help soak up the marinade. Place the chicken into the marinade, turn to coat. Refrigerate and marinate for a minimum of 1 hour, up to 24 hours.

Remove the chicken from the marinade, and let the excess drip off. Dab gently with paper towels.

Preheat the grill on high, covered, for about 15 minutes. Open lid and clean grate with grill brush.

Turn the grill temperature down to medium-low. Wad up a couple pieces of paper towel and grab the wad with a pair of tongs. Dip the wadded paper towel into some vegetable oil, then using the tongs, brush the grates with the oiled paper towel.

Place the chicken onto the grill and cover with a disposable aluminum pan. Allow to cook for 6-8 minutes, long enough to create nice grill marks. Turn the breasts over and cover with aluminum pan for 6-8 minutes more.

Turn grill temperature back up to high. Grill chicken a few minutes more on each side. Internal temperature should be 165.

30 Responses to Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken Breasts

Grumpy & HoneyB says:

I'm always looking for more flavorful ways to grill just chicken breasts! Most of the time I grill bone in/skin on because that is the only way I don't dry them out! I'm going to definitely try the chipotle recipe!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Love this combination of flavors! Great variation on the grilled chicken breast.

Barbara @moderncomfortfood says:

Are you grilling in Wisconsin already? How happy you must be to leave winter behind. This recipe looks wonderful. To me, chicken, lemon, and garlic are a magic combination. Many thanks for sharing your recipe!

Bob says:

Gorgeous grill marks! Sounds tasty too. I've never seen a disposable pan used like that, I'll have to remember it.

Tami says:

We've been grilling lately, too. Chicken is one of our favs. I love the combo of lemon and chicken!

Sounds tasty! I'm so ready for the grilling season!

Shelby – that chipotle is really good, you'll love it!

Thanks Lana :)

Barbara – yes the weather's been improving, but I grill year round! :)

Thanks Bob, Tami and megan :)

Leslie says:

Nothing beats grilled chicken!!! yum

Meaghan Frubalee says:

garlic and lemon is one of my all time favorite food combinations! yummmmmm, can't wait to fire up a girl and make this myself :)

love you and love your blog! <3 meg @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Lynnylu says:

I love the combination of garlic and lemon for my grilled chicken. Nice sear marks and the chicken looks really juicy and tender.

Cathy says:

These looks fabulous, Amanda! I've got some plain old chicken breasts with oil, salt & pepper on the grill right now, and I was just thinking I need to find a better grilled chicken. Doesn't get better than garlic and lemon! Can't wait to try this!

Chow and Chatter says:

love chicken breasts like this great in a sandwich

Sarah says:

Mmmmmm That's great. Thanks for sharing!
    I recently posted about a free report I wrote with ways to help others grow their blogs if your interested. You can find it at http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/p/grow-your-blog-free-report.html
    Blogger Chix Designs

Barbara Bakes says:

I'm going to try this the next time I grill chicken!

teresacooks says:

Hi Amanda, we tried this tonight. It was great, this will be my go-to chicken marinade from now on. I'm a novice chicken cook so it's nice to find a good recipe. Cutting the slits in the breasts really made a difference in terms of the flavor going through all the meat.
    thanks.

Michelle says:

I make a similar chicken but add a bit of Lavender to the marinade…so good!

Barbara Bakes says:

I made this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it! This is definitely going in my permanent file.

theblondemule says:

I made this tonight & loved it -thanks!

–Kim

Barbara, Teresa and Blondemule – Isn't it yummy?? So glad you enjoyed it! It's definitely a favorite here :) Thanks!

shouldhavezagged says:

Tried this tonight with some chicken breast tenderloins. Cooked them a little too long — grill noob! — but the flavor was spectacular. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

So glad you liked them as much as we do! It's a go to recipe in this house :)

Rebekah says:

Oh my. Delicious. I never liked grilled chicken breasts but these were great!

[...] one from Bonnie Baker Cowan on Suite101.com.  Another fantastic looking recipe is Amanda’s Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken Breasts, from Amanda’s Home [...]

Lori says:

I can’t wait to try! I’m so tired of boring chicken breasts. I bet this would be great in the oven during winter months, too!

[...] 3) If you have a preferred method of grilling, by all means, use it. I have included the method I use, which produces wonderful grill marks and delicious, juicy meat. This same method is used in my grilled garlic lemon chicken breasts. [...]

Jennifer says:

I saw this on a 4th of July roundup and just had to pin it.

[…] from me you might like:Grilled Garlic Lemon Chicken BreastsGrilled Breaded Pork ChopsGarlic-Marinated Chicken Cutlets with Grilled PotatoesChipotle […]