Stir Fried Spicy Beef

I love stir fry. This particular dish is one of our absolute favorites. You can add other vegetables to it if you like, but the simplicity of it is what I like best. The beef takes center stage in this dish. Remember when you stir fry it’s a super fast process. To stir fry successfully you must have all of your ingredients measured out ahead of time and at the ready. There is literally no time in between steps to chop, slice, or measure.

This recipe comes from a You Tube video series called Cooking with Kai. There are no written instructions with his series, you just have to take notes, though he does give you measurements. I’ve written it out for you. :)

I use bottom sirloin for this and all stir fries. Sliced thin against the grain it works perfectly. You can also use flank steak and even top round steak, just make sure you slice it thin. Another tip is to slice the meat when it’s partially frozen as it’s much easier to slice through and gives you nice straight cuts.

Stir Fried Spicy Beef

1 pound beef, sliced thin (sirloin or flank work well)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 dried chilies, broken in half
6 green onions, sliced diagonally, 2″ long
4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

Marinade:
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons rice cooking wine
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Combine marinade ingredients and stir into beef. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.

Place wok over high heat, add canola oil. When oil is hot, add the beef and stir fry quickly for 1-2 minutes, browning beef on both sides. Remove beef from wok to a warmed platter.

Add 2 teaspoons of oil to wok. Add garlic, stir fry for ten seconds until fragrant. Add the chilies and stir fry 5 seconds, then add green onion, stir fry for 30 seconds.

Add the beef back into the wok. Add in the hoisin and soy sauce (and sugar if you like) and stir fry to coat beef and vegetables in sauce. Serve over hot steamed rice.

For a text only (no recipe photos or commentary) printer friendly version of this recipe, click here

16 Responses to Stir Fried Spicy Beef

virginia bed and breakfast | victorian inn bed and breakfast | Romantic bed and breakfasts says:

I made this with rice, but you could easily substitute egg noodles for the rice as well. Which gives me an idea of what to do with the egg noodles that have been sitting up in my cabinets.

Regards,

Donna-FFW says:

I love stir fry too, this sounds delicious and looks so gorgeous in the photo. Beautifully prepared, Amanda.

Tasty Eats At Home says:

I love stir fry! Once all the prep work is done, the actual cooking is super-fast and easy! This looks delicious.

MaryMoh says:

My family loves stir fries. This dish looks very delicious….just what my family would love with rice.

Dawn says:

I haven't made this in ages. Looks so good!! Even the leftovers the next day taste even better.

The sauce looks so delicious. I love stir fry. It's always so fresh and tasty.

biz319 says:

That looks delicious Amanda!! Like your choice of meat too – flank steak by me is normally $7.99 A POUND!

Oh yummy! Good Chinese restaurants are practically non-existent here, so I am always looking for a good recipe. This looks perfect!

Bridgett says:

I love a good stir fry, especially when some spice is added! Great recipe and stellar photos.

megan says:

I love stir-fry! Especially beef :) And your cookies look absolutely beautiful by the way. you're so artistic! :)

Prudy says:

Ooh, that looks too good. Adding it to the menu this week….

Barbara Bakes says:

This looks like a yummy dish you'd buy in a great Chinese restaurant!

avocadopesto says:

I made this recipe last night and it was absolutely delicious! I didn't have enough green onions so I only used 2 but I also added ginger (which I cut into matchsticks) and used flank steak for the beef! Delicious!

So glad you liked it!!

Recipe: Flank Steak Stir Fry with Scallions and Ginger - A Couple Travelers | A Couple Travelers says:

[...] Recipe Adapted fromĀ Amanda’s Cooking [...]