Eggs Baked in Ramekins wit Herbs: Oeufs en Cocotte aux Fines Herbes

If you frequent many food blogs, or if you are a regular food gabber on twitter, you most certainly know about the new movie, Julie and Julia that opens in Theaters on Friday, August 7th. Or perhaps you’ve seen the movie trailer on TV or the internet. If you haven’t, you really should watch it now!
I won’t tell you what the movie is about, the trailer does a fabulous job of that. But I can tell you that there has been much anticipation amongst food bloggers as we wait patiently for this movie to hit the screen.
I’ll admit, I never thought I would open any of Julia Child’s books, I just always assumed that the recipes were beyond my skills and beyond my tastes. I am a fairly simple girl and don’t venture too far off the culinary track, and you certainly won’t find me in an expensive restaurant consuming a plate of brains or other such nasties. However, when I heard that Helene of La Cuisine Helene offered up a challenge to bloggers like me, I couldn’t resist accepting. You see, she used twitter to invite anyone who wanted to play along to make whatever recipe(s) they choose out of Julia Child’s book Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume One (MTAFC). This is the same book that real life Julie Powell, the inspiration for the movie Julie & Julia, cooked and baked from, all 524 recipes in 365 days!
I was a bit intimidated, but I was so pleased to find that many of the recipes in the book appealed to me (though some sections will never make it into my kitchen). I love how the book is laid out, it’s like Julia is talking you through everything, not just giving you a list of ingredients and some textbook instructions. She explains everything and really teaches you how to make the recipes.
The one thing that really stuck out to me from this book was this quote in the Foreward:
“Our primary purpose in this book is to teach you how to cook, so that you will understand the fundamental techniques and gradually be able to divorce yourself from a dependance on recipes.”
WOW. That’s so exactly what I need. I believe that if I can master the techniques, I will then be able to create my own recipes and not have to depend of print outs, books, and magazines for everything that I make. This was what really convinced me that I needed to take this challenge. And so, every Friday you will see another recipe that I have made and hopefully enjoyed from MTAFC. I hope you enjoy them and become inspired as well!
See my notes at the end of this recipe for my comments.
Eggs Baked in Ramekins with Herbs
[Oeufs en Cocotte aux Fines Herbes]
These are individual servings of 1 or 2 eggs baked in porcelain, pyrex, or earthenware ramekins. The ramekins must be set in a pan of boiling water, otherwise the intense heat of the oven toughens the outside layer of the egg before the inside has cooked.
1/2 tsp butter
1 ramekin 2.5 – 3″ in diameter, 1.5″ high
2 tbsp whipping cream
a pan containing 3/4″ simmering water
1 or 2 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp mixed fresh parsley, chives, chervil or tarragon
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Butter the ramekin, saving a dot for later. Add one tablespoon of the cream and half of the herbs and set the ramekin in the simmering water over moderate heat.

When the cream is hot, break into it one or two eggs. Pour he remaining spoonful of cream and remaining herbs over the egg and top with a dot of butter.
Place in middle level of the hot oven and bake for 7 – 10 minutes. The eggs are done when they are just set but still tremble slightly in the ramekins. They will set a little more when the ramekins are removed, so they should not be overcooked.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
* The ramekins may remain in the pan of hot water, out of the oven, for 10-15 minutes before serving. To prevent overcooking, remove eggs from oven when slightly underdone.
My notes: I left mine in the oven the full ten minutes and also left them in the pan of water for 5 additional minutes. I seasoned them with fresh ground pepper medley and salt. I used some chopped green onion as I didn’t have any other herbs on hand. This tasted wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed it for breakfast!

28 Responses to Eggs Baked in Ramekins wit Herbs: Oeufs en Cocotte aux Fines Herbes

Finsmom says:

These sound incredibly tasty! Great photos!

SUGAR B says:

Very gourmet! I likey! :)

Marthe says:

What a coincidence: just yesterday evening I read the chapter in Julie & Julia where Julia writes about Eggs en Cocotte!

One of my favourite dishes at the local Bistro is a dish they call Cocotte: Mushrooms with Roquefort and egg in a ramekin from the oven. Delish!!

Kayte says:

Looks really yummy! When you are finished playing with Julia's book, come on over and play with the Le Cordon Bleu at Home book…OMW, every recipe a hit! Every process/step/direction clear, precise and if you follow it one by one by one, voila…it all works better than you ever dreamed possible! Come and play with us over there at Whisk Wednesdays if you love French cooking.

Barbara Bakes says:

I've never tried eggs baked like these. It sounds so easy! I'm going to have to check out Julia's book.

Those look so good. I just bought that cookbook and made myself a real French omelet the other day. Can't to dig into some more recipes.

Amy says:

I'm not sure why I was anonymous in the last comment. I'm just trying to figure this out. :)

Erin Orr says:

Hi there! Thanks for commenting on my bundt cake, and thanks for suggesting that I might have a smudge on my lens! I've been trying to figure out what that blurry/bright spot was, but having a smudge on the lens never crossed my mind. I'll check when I get home!

pinkstripes says:

I've made eggs like this before and they are fabulous! YUM>

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

That sounds like the book I need too! Those eggs look fabulous!

Yasmeen says:

Julia is an inspiration to all cooks.Love this simple egg bake :D

Chef Fresco says:

We just bought some ramekins – I might just have to give this one a try!

Mags says:

I love that the movie's release has so many of us finding our inner Child (Julia that is.) Lovely post and your eggs look divine!

Cheryl Wray says:

These look just wonderful.

I can't wait to see the movie this weekend! And perhaps I'll be inspired to try a Julia Child recipe too.

(I just discovered your blog, and now I'm off to read through your past posts.)

The Blonde Duck says:

That looks so elegant!

The eggs look wonderful. I know exactly what you mean about cooking. I keep it fairly simple also but like to try different things that are not too complicated. I'm looking very forward to seeing the movie!

Connie Weiss says:

I tried making this right after I read the book and I thought I messed them up. Hubby didn't like it but I did.

Great pictures!

Barb, sfo says:

Looks delicious! I love poached eggs but never get them right. These look like they would do the job.

Thanks all, these were really great eggs, I will definitely make them again. Would be a great way to impress company!

Great job! Those eggs look beautiful. I love Julia's recipes.

I am currently reading "Julie & Julia" and I just made the Potage Parmentier which turned out very well. It made me think maybe I could tackle a few other recipes of Julia's. It really never entered my mind before that I could. Now I want to track down some of Julia's cookbooks. The next recipe on my list will be Oeufs en Cocotte. Can't wait.

You sound exactly like me :) I did the same thing. I learned so much just from making a few recipes out of the book Mastering The Art of French Cooking :)

Just made these today with a few problems. When the water started boiling in the pie pan I had placed the ramekins plus cream in to get hot, I freaked out and added the eggs, well before the oven was preheated to 375. Thus I had to wait another five minutes while the eggs sat in the hot water. I figured they had cooked somewhat so I only left them in the oven (once heated)for five minutes. Not long enough…another five mins…..not long enough….another five…. Not sure what they were supposed to be like so I served them: delicious tasting egg soup!! We sopped it up with toast and threw away the rest. Oh well. I was searching for photos of this dish when I found your blog, so all's well that ends well!

Anonymous – Thank you for telling me! I'm glad you enjoyed them anyway, they are the consistency of lightly soft boiled eggs. Thank you again for commenting, I love to hear from everyone! :)

maria angelica says:

wonderfull recipe thanks

Karen Robison says:

If you use two eggs in larger ramekins, it can take up to 20 minutes to cook. I’m not convinced that 7 minutes would work even for one egg.