Chicken Salad with Grapes

I remember the first time I ever tried chicken salad with red grapes in it. The thought repulsed me. Grapes in chicken salad?? Yuk! Nothing could be farther from the truth though. Anyone who has tried it will most likely agree with me (I haven’t met anyone yet that didn’t like the combo), and anyone who hasn’t tried it really needs to take the plunge.

I used to work in a large office, and whenever there was a birthday, everyone brought in food. My boss used to always bring her spinach dip (YUM!), another woman always brought different appetizers, there were tons of desserts, bagels, and other yummy munchies, and one day… chicken salad with grapes. Everyone told me that it was great. I was in my 20′s and hadn’t quite experienced too much yet, and definitely hadn’t tried this. but I did, and I’ve been a fan ever since.
I recently came across this recipe for Light Chicken Salad on Alicia’s Recipes and decided to give it a go. I did make a couple of small tweaks to the recipe. You can try their version, or mine is listed below :)

Light Chicken Salad
adapted from Alicia’s Recipes

3/4 c. light mayonnaise
pinch of dried ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. cooked chicken (or 3 cans)
1 1/2 c. red seedless grapes, halved
1 c. sliced celery
1/3 c. sliced green onion

Combine mayonnaise, ginger and salt. Stir in chicken, grapes, celery, and green onion. Makes 5 1/2 cups. Serve on a lettuce leaf of sandwich buns.

15 Responses to Chicken Salad with Grapes

Erin Orr says:

The first time I ever had chicken salad with grapes in it was when I was in college. I just didn't know people put grapes in chicken salad. But I realize now, that most people cut the grapes in half when they go in the chicken salad. Not the food service people at Lindsey Wilson College…there were whole grapes in there. I bit down on one, and felt something explode in my mouth. I nearly puked, because I thought it was a bug! I poked around in the chicken salad and found some more grapes, so that made me feel a little better, but I was pretty freaked out about grapes in chicken salad for quite a while afterward.

Rachel says:

This looks so unbelievably delicious!!! My family always puts red grapes in their chicken salad, so now when I try anyone elses' (without the grapes), there's just no comparison in the taste! I can't wait to try your version…it's a little different than how my family makes it!

The Blonde Duck says:

I've never tried chicken salad with grapes! I'll be brave, though!

Mari says:

You are making me hungry! I love chicken salad with grapes!

Chow and Chatter says:

looks lovely love the way Americans make Chicken Salad

Marie says:

That chicken salad looks fantastic Amanda. I Love the addition of ginger! I never thought of adding that! I bet it was fabulous!

holy mayo! light is not always that.

Liesl says:

I make my chicken salad with red grapes too…I love it!! I like putting almonds in it too for a nice crunch!

Pottery Monster says:

I think people underestimate the use of fruit with protein, and this recipe is a perfect example. The use of sweet is the perfect addition.

Nicole Kellar Munoz says:

Your recipe looks delicious! I'm going to try making it for lunch today. My husband and son are a little nervous – the thought of grapes going in a sandwich sounded a little far reaching for them, but I think they are going to love your recipe!

I hope you like it Nicole, and your family too! It really is delicious :)

should grapes be cut vertically (like Katharine Hepburn suggests) or horizontally before putting them in chicken salad. Katharine Hepburn said that it did not taste right if you cut the grapes horizontally. I read this in one of her books.

@Anon – You can cut the grapes in whatever direction you like, just don't tell katherine if you cut them horizontally ;)

Tara says:

Vertically or horizontally… It’s just a matter of perception ; )