Chipotle Chicken Soup

The menu plan this week called for Chipotle Chicken Soup and fried Tortilla Strips. This recipe came from the new cookbook 300 Sensational Soups by Carla Snyder & Meredith Deeds. It was quite spicy and tasted great, and definitely lives up to the title… easy. The chickpeas were a surprise to me, I enjoyed them but the kids didn’t, of course. LOL I would probably toss something else in here next time, maybe some red potatoes or something, but overall it was very good.

The book recommends making Crispy Tortilla Strips to serve on top. Those were easy too, deep fried strips of corn tortillas, sprinkled with salt and pepper and added to the top of the soup. A nice addition! It also recommended topping the soup with diced avocado, which would not have gone over well in this house, and squeezing lime over the soup, another thing I skipped.

Easy Chipotle Chicken Soup
pg. 220

6 cups chicken stock
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 to 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 14-oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado, diced
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
Crispy Tortilla Strips (see recipe below)

In a large pot, bring stock, garlic, chipotles to taste and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to blend flavors. Add chickpeas, chicken and salt to taste.

Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges. Diners may squeeze the lime over their soup, if they desire.

Crispy Tortilla Strips
pg. 372

vegetable oil
6 6-inch corn tortillas, halved, then cut crosswise into matchstick size strips
salt

In a saucepan heat 3/4″ oil over medium heat until it registers 350 F on a candy thermometer. Add tortilla strips, in 4 batches, and fry until crisp and light golden, 30 to 45 seconds. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove tortilla strips to a plate lined with paper towels. Season to taste with salt. Let cool and use within 3 hours.

9 Responses to Chipotle Chicken Soup

Pam says:

This looks fantatic! I love that it has chickpeas in it. Great photos.

Tami says:

Looks great! I love spicy soups so I bet I’d like this. I would have to add more stuff to it or my family would think that I’d lost my mind trying to get them to eat chickpeas. LOL!!

Bridgett says:

Yummy! I love soups like these. I need to give this one a try when it cools down a bit around here.

Barb, sfo says:

I’m sure you could sub out the garbanzo beans with any other favorite bean–Great northern, small white, pinto, pink, or red–any mix of these would be good in this type of soup.

Jude says:

I love chickpea soup. So filling and satisfying.

Melody says:

Recently found your blog and I’ve been enjoying checking out your recipes! This soup reminds me of one I tried recently that had the chicken and chipotles but used sweet potatoes and I really enjoyed the mix of flavors. It’s a Rachael Ray recipe on the Food Network site (Smoky Sweet Potato Chicken Stoup).

Ok, now I’m off to peruse your blog again. :)

Elle says:

This sounds very fresh-tasting and delicious!

GoForTheGold says:

Amanda, I make a similar soup for my family here in Austin. DO try the lime squeezed on top. It does sound bizarre but it adds another dimension to the soup! Also, to cut a few calories, we cut up the tortilla strips in skinny strips, mound them on a pizza stone and bake @ 250 for an hour, stirring and remounding a couple of times. They come out crispy and crunchy, without the added fat. Love your site!