Brisket is one of my favorite cuts of meat. You have to slow cook it, whether it be in a CrockPot or at lower temperatures in the oven, but the results melt in your mouth. I’ve had brisket where you shred it into sandwiches, and that’s good, but by far my favorite is slicing into it and eating it with a thick gravy.
I used to think that the crockpot was best suited to winter meals, but in the last few years I’ve been pulling it out year round, like when I make this crockpot macaroni and cheese. It’s so ideal when you want to have dinner ready, but you don’t have precious moments available during dinner time. The CrockPot is a life saver.
My kids are growing fast. I have two that are officially adult age now at 18 and 19 and my younger two are 13 and almost 15. They’ve all dabbled in sports, so we have the soccer, baseball and football practices to contend with from spring through fall.
In fact I’ll selfishly admit that I’m in mourning that my daughter, who is now 18 and a Senior in high school, decided not to play soccer this year. She played every year and I loved working concessions, cheering her on and taking pictures. It’s hard now that soccer season has started and she’s not there. :-(
After watching my kids grow so quickly, I sit here wondering where the time went. I know that sometimes, even as much as I love to cook, I’d rather be a spectator than worry about what’s for dinner. Having a slow cooker that helps do a lot of the work is a must for us!
I found this particular recipe on my friend Marie’s blog, The English Kitchen. She and I have plenty in common. She’s British and so am I, we both love a lot of the same foods, and we both know that adding coffee to beef dishes adds a great richness to the meat flavor and the gravy. So when I saw Marie’s recipe I knew I would try it.
I changed mine up a little, removing the red pepper and mushrooms, adding potatoes and switching out the vinegar. This is a great addition to my small arsenal of brisket recipes which include Savory Beef Brisket and Beef Brisket in Tomato Onion Gravy now I can add a third. :)
- 3 pound beef brisket
- 2 handfuls baby carrots
- 1 large Vedalia onion peeled and chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into quarters
- 6 ounces strong brewed coffee or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Tarragon vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place all of the potatoes, carrots and onion in the bottom of the crackpot and toss together. Sprinkle with garlic. Trim brisket of excess fat and place on top of vegetables.
- Stir together the coffee, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour the meat in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat carefully from the slow cooker to a platter. Remove vegetables to a bowl, reserving the juices. Skim off fat and thicken the remaining juices by boiling it in a small saucepan. Serve the meat sliced with the juices spooned over top and vegetables arranged around the meat.