Do you love the tang of lemon countered by the sweetness of sugar? These fabulous lemon bars are not only beautiful, they taste marvelous and have the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated zest are the secret to the success of these bars.
It’s no secret that I love lemon flavored desserts. I’ve been known to make soft lemon cake, like this truly amazing Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake or this Lemon Cornmeal Cake with Blueberry Sauce. A few years ago my daughter needed a recipe for German class, so we made these cute little German Mini Lemon Cakes, or – Zitronenkuchen (lemon cake) / Zitrone Mini-Kuchen. And who doesn’t love a good Lemon Lush?
I’ve made plenty of other things using fresh lemons, including cookies, a tart, and even a mousse. Of course, lemon is also perfect for chicken, so don’t miss any of the lemon recipes I’ve made.
These lemon bars are not hard to make. They are great for a party, especially if you enjoy tea time or just sitting down with friends for coffee. Have a potluck your attending, church function, picnic? Great for taking along as well!
The instructions call for a food processor, simply because it’s easier and faster. You can use your mixer for the filling, and if you prefer, you can cut the butter in the old fashioned way, with your fingers or using two butter knives scissor fashion.
However you make them, you’ll want to try these bars. But, believe me, make sure you have someone to share them with. Otherwise, you may be tempted to eat them all yourself!
Recipes for more Lemon Bars
Lemon Bars with Sweet Sour Cream Topping
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
Sweet Sour Cream Topping
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9x9 square baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Be sure that foil hangs over the edges, you will use it to lift out the bars when they are cool.
Make the Crust
- In bowl of your food processor, pulse to combine flour, powdered sugar and salt. Add lemon zest and pulse to combine. Add butter all at once and process until coarse crumbs are formed, just as the dough begins to come together. Dump crumb mixture into prepared pan and press evenly. Bake for 11-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
Make the Lemon Filling
- Wipe out the food processor bowl and add all three eggs. Pulse to lightly beat the eggs. Add sugar and flour and pulse to combine. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Process mixture for one minute or so. Pour filling over crust and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until filling is set. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Make the Topping
- Stir together the sour cream, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Spread over warm filling and put back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Use the foil as handles, lift the dessert out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.