This kitty litter cake recipe has been around for quite a few years. I made one 10 years ago when my daughter was in 5th grade and hosted a Halloween party. A few years ago after she graduated high school she asked me to make the cake again, only this time she was having a group of friends over for a bonfire. So if you want some gross Halloween party food, the kitty litter cake is always a hit! Only the bravest will actually try it, but those that do will giggle, laugh and then say “mmm!”.
Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
So for those of you who have never eaten or made a kitty litter cake it’s basically just cake mix, pudding, cookies and Tootsie Rolls. Let’s get started shall we?
If you need more ideas, check out all these awesome Halloween food ideas!
One of the main reasons this cake looks so real is due to the small amount of cookie crumbs that you will color with a little bit of green food coloring. This makes it look like the green chloraphyll in cat litter.
The cake itself is made up of two separate baked cake mixes, a chocolate and a white or yellow, crumbled up. Then there’s the entire package of vanilla sandwich cookies you’ll crush up too.
In a brand new kitty litter pan, you take the two cakes, half of the cookie crumbs, and then you’ll add a package of prepared pudding. Vanilla is the norm, but I used pistachio. Once it’s mixed up, you heat some Tootsie Rolls in the microwave to soften them and stretch them out to look like turds. Yum.
Then sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top, then finish with the green crumbs. Add a few more turds and you’re done! have fun and Happy Halloween!
Here’s some more Halloween party ideas for you:
- Monster Brownies
- Creepy Hand Luminaries
- Glitter Jack O’Lantern Treat Bags
- Halloween Treat Cups
- Bleeding Place Cards
- Witch Finger Cookies
- Ghost Brownies
- Halloween Candy Apples
Some fun things to add to your Halloween party!
- Jell-O shot syringes (for the grown ups)
- Labels for your soda bottles (with labels like truth serum, zombie virus, spider venom and more!)
- 20-foot giant hanging spider
- Brain gelatin mold
- Blood splattered tablecloth
- Glowstick bracelets
- Mist maker (for creating that smokey, misty look!)
Kitty Litter Cake
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It Text It
- 16.25 ounce chocolate cake mix
- 16.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- 5.1 ounce vanilla instant pudding mix or pistachio, one large box
- 25 ounce vanilla sandwich cookies
- Green food coloring
- 15 small Tootsie Rolls
- 1 new kitty litter pan
- 1 new Pooper Scooper
- Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans but 13×9 is easiest). Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble. Crumble sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using fingers until an even green color.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into the new litter box. Toss with half the remaining cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it.
- You don’t want it soggy. Combine gently.
- Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls and bury in mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top.
- Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top. (This is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.) Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Serve with new popper scooper.
Latest posts by Amanda Davis (see all)
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots and Candied Pecans - September 21, 2023
- Fried Cabbage - September 18, 2023
- French Martini - September 12, 2023