These Bunny Butt Cupcakes are the perfect Easter and Springtime-themed cupcakes for your next gathering (just like these Easter Chick Cupcakes!) They have a delicious and moist chocolate cupcake base with a marshmallow and coconut flake bunny diving into buttercream “grass” frosting with white chocolate feet.
Bunny Butt Cupcakes
Hi Everyone, are you looking for the cutest Easter and Spring-themed cupcakes ever? Try these Bunny Butt Cupcakes!
I can imagine these sweet treats being brought to Easter gatherings, baby showers, birthday parties or why not make them just for a fun project? They are relatively simple to make and you can take as many shortcuts as you want to make it easier which I note in the recipe below.
I chose a chocolate cupcake base for these Bunny Butt Cupcakes because, well, chocolate’s the best, but also because the bunny is diving into “the ground, ” so it would make the most sense that the base be dark to represent dirt.
If you want to do the opposite and create the bunny’s face on your cupcake, check out these cute Easter Bunny Cupcakes!
Ingredients for Bunny Butt Cupcakes
You can use a chocolate cupcake box mix if you want to take a shortcut, or you can make these chocolate cupcakes:
Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 24 cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Green Buttercream Frosting
You can get store-bought frosting to frost the tops and add some green gel food coloring to it. If you want to take a shortcut with the frosting. This recipe for buttercream is an ample amount for 24 cupcakes to give you an option to use more or less frosting on the top, if you wish.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- green gel food coloring
These are the ingredients for constructing the bunny’s body, tail, and feet:
- 12 marshmallows (regular size), cut in half – so you will have 24 halves for the cupcakes
- 24 mini marshmallows – for the tail
- 1 cup white chocolate – to make the feet and to dip the marshmallows
- 1/4 cup white chocolate morsels *melted, to make the pink chocolate for the feet
- red gel food coloring – to make pink chocolate for the feet
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
Kitchen Tools for Bunny Butt Cupcakes
- cupcake tin
- measuring spoons and cups
- mixing bowls
- baking spatula
- offset spatula for frosting
- handheld electric mixer
- 24 cupcake liners, plus extra if you want to double line them
- wire cooling rack
- parchment or wax paper (for making the bunny feet)
- rimmed aluminum baking sheet (for making the bunny feet)
- kitchen scissors for cutting marshmallows
- toothpicks for dipping marshmallows in chocolate and making the pink toes on the bunny feet
To make the bunny “feet”:
Melt the 1 cup white chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted, for my microwave, it takes 3, 30-second intervals.
On a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet, spoon 48, equally-sized ovals to represent the feet. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
Use the remaining white melted chocolate for dipping the marshmallows (see below). If you stop and do something else and the chocolate hardens, you can always reheat in the microwave to melt again.
To make the pink toes on the bunny feet, melt 1/4 cup white chocolate morsels in the microwave at 3, 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Add 1-2 drops red gel food coloring and mix until the color is even.
When the white chocolate feet are hard after freezing, take them out and using a toothpick, make the little toes and pads of the feet. When you are done, return them to the freezer to harden for 5-10 minutes. Take them out when you are ready to apply them.
Dip the large marshmallow halves using a toothpick into the melted white chocolate and then into the coconut flakes and then place in the middle of the green frosted cupcakes, coconut flake side up.
Dip the mini marshmallows in the melted white chocolate and then in the coconut flakes. Turn them around and then dip the other side in the melted white chocolate and use that to stick them in the center of the large marshmallow half already on the top of the cupcake.
Place the prepared white chocolate “feet” of the bunnies by dipping the blank side in melted chocolate and place on front of the cupcake where the bunny’s feet would be.
I know you will love these Bunny Butt Cupcakes!
Want more Easter themed desserts? Check out the recipes below!
- Easter Crack– saltine toffee made into a fun Easter themed dessert!
- Easter Muddy Buddies (puppy chow)- a fun (and addicting) snack for a crowd!
- Rice Krispie Nests– a popular Easter themed treat, and are super easy to make.
- Carrot Cake Trifle– if you’re looking to “wow” a crowd… Look no further than this delicious Easter-themed trifle!
- Checkerboard Easter Cake– this beautiful pastel-colored checkerboard cake is another crowd-pleaser, so get ready to impress!
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars– an assortment of pastel colored icing topped onto a sugar cookie base, you really can’t go wrong!
- Easter Chick Cupcakes- another adorable Easter-themed cupcake recipe (and so easy to make!)
The chocolate cupcake part of this recipe is inspired by these Chocolate Cupcakes from The Stay at Home Chef.