I really do enjoy making bread, so when I started seeing recipes around the Internet on making homemade hamburger buns, I knew I wanted to try it. They really were delicious, but I’ll be honest. It’s not something I’m going to do every single time I make hamburgers. I wish I had the time to do that, but alas, with everything going on in my life I just don’t. I suppose if I were more organized, I could, and you might be! But I’m not. :-P
I really enjoyed making them though and they tasted great, so it would be a fun way to spend time with my daughter in the kitchen, or to impress guests. ;-) After all, how many people can say they’re eating hamburgers on homemade hamburger buns??
I found the original recipe on Taste of Home but changed it a little bit. I didn’t use the egg, I used SAF instant yeast because I like it and I’m impatient, and I brushed them with some melted butter.
I actually made these quite a while ago, and you may have seen a few posts on Instagram about it too.
First, proof yeast in warm water with the sugar. If it gets all bubbly like in a few minutes, you’re good to go. Add the oil , the salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. I used it all. I used my KitchenAid mixer to make this. You could certainly do it by hand too. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes by hand. Do not let rise. Divide into 8 pieces; shape each into a ball. I always weigh mine first if I have to divide it into equal pieces.
I have this trusty OXO kitchen scale that I use ALL THE TIME. It’s my kitchen lifesaver.
Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. The picture above shows the rise in ten minute increments.
Brush tops with the melted butter.
Pop those babies in the oven and bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. All that’s left to do is fill them with something juicy and chow down!
Want more bread recipes?
I have quite a few in my bread recipes category, but I’ve also hand picked some of my favorites just for you, see below!
- 2 tablespoons SAF instant yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line an insulated baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, proof the yeast in warm water with the sugar.
- Add oil, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. You may use all the flour, I did.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes by hand. Do not let rise. Divide into 8 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Brush tops with the melted butter. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Disclaimer: There are Amazon affiliate links in this post. If you click through AND purchase something, I will earn a small commission.