Conchas – Mexican Sweet Bread

Mexican food melts my heart. I love the spicy flavors, but will admit, I had never tried any Mexican baked goods. You know how much I love baking, so when I saw the recipe for Conchas, a Mexican sweet bread with a cinnamon topping, in the BHG magazine “Ultimate Mexican”, I knew I had to try it. This was my first time making these, so my topping on some of them slid a bit, but overall they were easy to make and tasted fabulous.

I’m out of town as I type this, so this post is short and sweet, emphasis on sweet :) Here’s the recipe, hope you try them, they are wonderful, though best eaten the same day. These were better warm, so if they have cooled completely, just pop them in the microwave for ten seconds and enjoy.

Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread)
from BHG Ultimate Mexican magazine

Dough
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (115-120 F)
1/2 cup warm evaporated milk (115-120 F)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl stir together yeast and warm water, let stand for ten minutes. Stir in evaporated milk, 1/3 cup sugar, melted butter, egg, and salt. Stir on 2 cups flour. Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups flour and the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to make the dough.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 3-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball and transfer to a greased bowl, turn he dough to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 60-75 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the topping, in medium bowl, beat softened butter with mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add 2/3 cup sugar, beat until well mixed. Stir in 1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and vanilla.

Punch down the dough then cover an let stand ten minutes. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place 3 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. press balls down slightly. Divide topping into 12 balls, pat each ball flat. Place one round of topping onto each dough ball.

use a sharp paring knife to cut grooves in the topping to resemble a scallop shell. Cover rolls and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F. Bake rolls 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.

27 Responses to Conchas – Mexican Sweet Bread

Story Lady says:

Theses look so fun!!!!! I think I'm going to have to try them today or tomorrow. Thanks!

Karen says:

This looks like a pan sitting in a Mexican bakery! Very nice!

jose manuel says:

Que receta más original, se ve muy bonitos y tienen que estar deliciosos. Uns aludo

I've never had these either. Yours actually look better than the ones I've seen in the store.

girlichef says:

mmmmmm….I LOVE CONCHAS!!! I've always thought about making some myself, but since we have several local Mexican bakeries where I can get 'em hot & fresh I never have. Until now…thanks so much for sharing the recipe…I'll be making some soon :D

lizzie says:

My Mom would make these for us all the time when we were little. And we would get them as well,when we would go to Mexico every Christmas. I think I will try baking these myself, thanks for bringing back memories:)

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

I have never tried Conchas, but they always catch my eye. Sweet + bread, whats not to love. Yours look wonderful :)

Jennifer says:

This is totally new to me but with the wonderful mexican sweet flavours Im sure I would love! Great job!!!

Oh Amanda, these look wondeful. I've seen these in the stores but have never tasted one. I bet this is better then any ol' store bought version. GHreat photos!

Sue Sparks says:

Pan dulce is one of my favorite things to eat since I was a small child. Just the other day my son suggested that I try making some myself, and lo and behold, you posted a recipe:) There are many varieties, and conchas are one of my favorites! I've never had cinnamon though, just chocolate and vanilla(?). We have a wonderful Mexican bakery locally, but now maybe I won't need to visit it as often:) Thanks for the recipe!

These look just like the ones I've seen in stores! GREAT job.

Culinary Cory says:

I totally grew up with these as a kid! I never thought about making them myself! Great idea.

Johnny Madrid aka Tim E. says:

That's more like it. They don't have anything like this in The Netherlands. I'm going to try and make this!

Grumpy and HoneyB says:

I have never seen this before – looks yummy!

Bridgett says:

Oh wow….feel free to send me a load of these, ok? lol. You always have something wonderful going on in your kitchen. I am a big mexican food fan as well so I know these would not last long here.

Thanks everyone! This is really an easy dough, very little kneading and easy to work with. You should try them!

Barbara Bakes says:

I haven't had Mexican baked goods either. Looks like a fun one to make.

Hmmmmmmm dis looks nice,Mexico got good bakeries I can see,I havn't had 1 though.

girlichef says:

I made them, Amanda!! omg, they totally rock!! I'll be blogging them next week sometime…thanks again for posting…they're so amazing! =)

My MIL loves these. If I could make them for her, that would be good. I would love to try them1 Thanks again Amanda, Pattycakes

These are really easy Patty, you should definitely try them!

Hi, loved the recipe and the effort to recreate our food. This Conchas look great! I'd only like to make an observation hoping it helps: the bread part is not really that big, I found a picture of real conchas where you will get the idea of the proportions http://wwwcharmingevent.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pan-dulce.jpg

:) thx

Angie Rodriguez says:

Hi Amanda, Well mine a rising on the stove as we speak. I buy them all the time fir my family but wanted to surprise them with homemade ones. Wish me luck. Angie Rodriguez

Good luck Angie! I bet they'll be awesome!

Susan Liebowitz says:

Wow!! When visiting my dad in Colorado there was a Latin market that sold these. We have been looking for a recipe to make them here in Northern New England as they don’t have anything like that in the area. These are just the ticket! They are now a family favorite!

Anna says:

My father is from Mexico so whenever we go there I love to get these!I will definetly be making these!

[…] Cheese Pastries 27. Frittata with Ham and Asparagus 28. Yogurt Parfaits 29. Easy Waffles 30. Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) 31. Glazed Orange Pumpkin Bundt Cake> 32. Cranberry Orange Muffins 33. Overnight Pumpkin Chai […]