Moo Goo Gai Pan

Well the recipe is for Moo Goo Gai Pan, but I substituted other vegetables for the mushrooms, which is a main ingredient. But hubby and children won’t eat anything with mushroom (grrr) so I must improvise ;-)

This is quite tasty served on a bed of white rice. Just be sure to get all of your ingredients ready ahead of time as stir frying is quick and you won’t have time to cut things in between.
I double this recipe, if you make it as stated it will serve 3 people, possibly 4. You can use any type of vegetable you like, just cut into thin slices. :)
Moo Goo Gai Pan
1/2 lb chicken, sliced thin
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp rice cooking wine
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
Combine broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice cooking wine, cornstarch and sugar and set aside.
Heat wok on high heat and add a tablespoon of olive or other cooking oil. Stir fry vegetables for a 3-4 minutes, remove vegetables. Add another tablespoon of oil to the wok on high heat. Add garlic and stir fry one minute, then add the chicken. Stir fry chicken until no longer pink. Add the broth mixture and let thicken a little, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables and cook for a few minutes, stirring to combine sauce, meat and vegies.
Serve over white rice. Yum!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

12 Responses to Moo Goo Gai Pan

MaryBeth says:

This looks great, I have never had moo goo before. Sorry to say I am with your hubby and kids I too don’t like the shroom but my husband loves them.

Bunny says:

I’ve never had this either Amanda but I think the hubby and kids would love this!! Thanks for posting it!

Tami says:

I am adding this to our menu for the coming week. It looks delicious! We love all types of mushrooms so I will be adding those to the recipe in place of the pea pods because other than me, no one will eat them.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

The TriniGourmet says:

Oooh I love this. Much better than takeout too I’m sure. Have bookmarked to try :)

Happy cook says:

I love dishes like this, they are fast, easy and super delicious. Yours look really yummy.

Dawn says:

yum! I love these types of dishes. so fast to make and you get to use up veggies sitting in the fridge.

Contessa Kris says:

This looks super delicious! I love Moo Goo so I’ll be making this at home! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jodi says:

That dish looks delicious! We love Chinese food, but I’ve never tried Moo Goo Gai Pan before. I’d love to try this recipe. And I’d definitely add mushrooms! :) Thanks!

shweetpotato says:

Gotta try this one, I think Ill add a little ginger and also some bamboo shoots, hmm, maybe water chestnuts too :D Carm

Oh, that looks good. My family and I love Asian flavors!!! I’m gonna print this one out. Thanks!

Btw, that was pretty cool that Dorie herself responded to your questions!

Kian says:

Hee hee… without mushroom it is not “Moo Goo Gai Pan.” This should be called “San Choi Gai Pan” for stir-fried chicken with fresh vegetables.

Learn how to stir-fry here.

LOL! I had a feeling that Moo Goo Gai Pain must mean something with mushrooms, dang husband won’t eat them! LOL BUT to my credit I did give the recipe instructions with the mushrooms LOL ;)