As simple as they are delicious, a whipped jello dessert is always sure to be an easy crowd-pleaser. This Mandarin Orange Mousse is no exception! Combining citrus flavor with a creamy texture, it’s reminiscent of a classic orange creamsicle.
I have a special love for easy desserts. Some of the easiest of all are those whipped cream jello recipes that have been around for years. Serving them in pretty dishes and adding a colorful garnish makes this simple treat fancy enough to serve on special occasions.
Jello desserts are great for birthdays, holidays and even your anniversary. They are wonderful for when you have company or just want a special sweet treat for the family.
Whenever my kids open the refrigerator and see desserts in little dishes, especially those with a colorful garnish, they immediately want one! Who wouldn’t? Now while this dessert is definitely a winner, this one is still my all time favorite
Whipped Jello Mandarin Orange Mousse
The secret to this orange delight is timing. Before you add the whipped cream, you will want to chill the gelatin for a bit. Allowing the Jell-O to partially set will keep it from settling to the bottom as it does in double layer jello desserts, like this Creamy Raspberry Jell-O Parfait, which has a visual appeal all of its own.
This recipe can be made with either real whipped cream or if you prefer, Cool Whip. If you’re really short on time, a Cool Whip jello dessert is an easy shortcut! Either way, the whole family will love these personal-sized sweet treats.
For this Whipped Jello dessert you will need:
- 1 large box orange sugar-free Jell-O (8 servings)
- 1 cup whipping cream (can substitute 1 8-oz container Cool Whip)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (for homemade whipped topping, omit if using Cool Whip)
- 6-ounce can mandarin oranges in juice, drained, juice reserved
- Cold water and ice
Tools you will need:
- 2-cup measuring cup
- Large bowl or 4-cup measuring cup
- Microwave or medium saucepan
- Mixer with whisk attachment
- Dessert dishes
The full recipe can be printed below. If you try this Whipped Jello Mandarin Orange Mousse, please let me know what you think. You can try different jello flavors too. It’s super easy and one of our favorite desserts!
More From Me You Might Like:
More From the Internet:
Whipped Jello Mandarin Orange Mousse
- 1 large box orange sugar free Jell-O 8 servings (0.60 oz)
- 1 cup whipping cream can substitute 1 8-oz container Cool Whip
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar omit if using Cool Whip
- 6- ounce can mandarin oranges in juice drained, juice reserved
- Water and ice
- Place reserved mandarin orange juice in a 2-cup measuring cup. Add water to fill to the 2-cup line. Heat water/juice to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin powder, stirring until dissolved. Move mixture to a large measuring cup or bowl.
- Add one cup of ice to a 2-cup measuring cup. Add water to the ice to bring the level to the 2-cup mark. Pour ice/water into the gelatin mixture and stir until ice has melted.
- Place gelatin in the refrigerator until the mixture is partially gelled. It should be firm enough that it won’t spill out of the container, but will not hold its shape well when lifted with a spoon.
- Meanwhile, combine whipping cream and powdered sugar in a mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high until firm peaks form. Store covered in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Use an electric mixer to break up the gelatin mixture until mixture is very loose and no longer holding its shape. Add HALF of the whipped cream and most of the mandarin oranges (reserve about 8 nice ones for garnish) and beat just enough to blend everything together.
- Pour into eight dessert dishes and chill until firm.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a mandarin orange.
This post originally appeared here on Sep 26, 2015.