These ribs are absolutely delicious and the smells wafting throughout the house are really difficult to resist! Pair these beauties with baked potatoes and sweet corn for a fabulous weeknight dinner.
I love my slow cooker, though sometimes I forget about it all tucked away in the cabinet. I’ve been trying to bring it out more, and aside from my crockpot macaroni and cheese, this is one of my favorites meals to make in it. While this recipe uses pork ribs, I’m looking forward to trying these slow cooker braised short ribs too!
Everyone has a favorite crock pot rib recipe, but if you don’t have one yet I encourage you to try this one. You’ll love me for it.
Basically you’ll mix up the rub and then rub that all over the meat, brown them in a pan and add them to the crock on a bed of onion and apples. Ad barbecue sauce and cook!
More slow cooker recipes
If you enjoyed this, you may like some of my favorite slow cooker recipes, I’ve hand picked them below. Or you can have a look at all my slow cooker recipes here. And check this out if you are looking for kid friendly slow cooker recipes!
Slow Cooker Barbecued Country Style Ribs
Slow cooker dinners are so convenient, and these country style ribs are not only simple, they're delicious!
For the Ribs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 1 large apple sliced into rings
- 5 pounds country style pork ribs
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt finely ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Mix the liquid smoke into the barbecue sauce and set aside.
- Layer onion in the bottom of the slower cooker. Layer the sliced apples over the onions.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together. Rub all over the ribs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Brown the ribs on all sides. You may have to work in batches. Add remaining olive oil to the skillet if needed.
- To the slow cooker, add a layer of ribs (start with any that contain bones) on top of the apples and onions. Cover those ribs with about 1/3 cup of the barbecue sauce mixture, brushing on to cover the meat.
- Layer remaining ribs on top of the first layer and pour on the rest of the barbecue sauce. Use a brush to ensure all ribs are covered.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours.