Garlic and Rosemary are a delicious combination and these roasted potatoes are the perfect match for them. Our recipe for Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes are great for a dinner side all year long, but they’re even worthy of a holiday dinner.
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
These Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes are such a versatile side – they pair well with so many dishes but I especially like them as a side with poultry thanks to that generous amount of rosemary. For something a bit more out there, I have my Sweet & Spicy Cocoa Smashed Sweet Potatoes or my Homemade Potato Soup.
I use a combination of chopped and whole garlic so that the dish plays on the different tastes that garlic can take on – pungent, sweet and even a bit nutty. I love biting into a whole garlic clove after roasting – it is just one of the best sweet-savory tastes in the world.
While I keep the salt light, you definitely need it to bring all of these delicious flavors together. Pepper is optional for just a small hint of heat. The double-fat of the olive oil and butter is a classic Italian combination and I try to sneak it into as many dishes as I can!
These potatoes are best enjoyed the day of making but they can be saved and used in egg dishes or stir-fries or reheated as an easy lunch side.
Ingredients for Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary Garlic
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY FIND HELPFUL
I suggest a jelly roll pan instead of a cookie sheet because it is larger. You don’t want your potatoes to be too crowded as the air won’t be able to circulate around them and they may steam instead of brown.
These potatoes would be a delicious side dish to my Crockpot Roast Beef.
Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lb small red potatoes cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 sprigs rosemary chopped
- 10 cloves garlic peeled and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the red potatoes into 2-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Combine melted butter, 3 chopped or minced garlic cloves, chopped rosemary, and olive oil. Stir together.
- Add the remaining 7 whole garlic cloves to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Pour the infused butter-oil mixture over the potatoes and garlic and stir to evenly coat.
- Place garlic cloves and potatoes, with a cut side down, on a parchment lined jelly roll pan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork. Potatoes should have a nice brown color on the side that was down.
- You can turn the heat up to broil for a few minutes if you would like the potatoes a little more brown and crispy.
- You can shorten the roasting time by about 20 minutes by parboiling the potatoes for 10 minutes first. They may not get as brown because steam may be created in the oven from the moisture in the potatoes.
- These potatoes have a wonderfully mellow garlic flavor, but you can reduce the number of whole cloves or eliminate them all together if you prefer.
This post originally appeared here on Nov 8, 2017.