A hearty and filling weeknight dinner, this 7 layer casserole uses ground beef, cheese, bacon, veggies, and rice. It’s perfect for busy days where a bubbling hot casserole hits the spot with little prep!
Why this recipe works
We’re all for super simple ground beef casserole recipes around here. Not only is this 7 layer casserole affordable but it’s quick and easy to make in a pinch. It’s a dump-and-bake type of dinner with lots of flavorful components from the peppers and onions to the ground beef and bacon.
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
Ingredient Info and Substitution Suggestions
PROTEIN – You will need ground beef and bacon. Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or sausage and the bacon with turkey bacon if desired. For the beef, brown it thoroughly before adding to the casserole dish. Season it as you’d like while browning. Garlic powder, salt, and pepper are our go-to’s. I would suggest using leaner ground beef so there isn’t so much grease- which is why we don’t add the meat raw into the casserole dish.
VEGGIES – This is a highly versatile casserole dish so you can basically use any type of veggie filling you’d like. We went with red and green bell pepper, onion, and corn. If you’d like a bit of spice, jalapenos would be a nice addition. You can use either canned or frozen corn for this recipe.
SAUCE – You can use pasta sauce (marinara), tomato sauce, or canned crushed tomatoes.
How to Make 7 Layer Casserole
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Assemble the casserole in a 13×9 baking dish in order of ingredients starting with the cooked rice.
- Add the corn.
- Top the corn with ground beef.
- Next, layer on the chopped veggies.
- Pour the pasta sauce or canned tomatoes on top of the veggies.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Lastly, top with bacon.
- Bake in a 350F oven uncovered for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions & Expert Tips
Store leftovers in an air-tight container kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Absolutely. You can freeze this casserole in an air-tight container, pre-assembled for up to 2 months.
On its own, this 7 layer casserole it’s hearty and satisfying and doesn’t typically need a side dish to accompany it. You can top it with sour cream and parsley if you’d like.
More Casserole Recipes
- Taco Casserole
- John Wayne Casserole
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
- Tatertot Casserole
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!
7 Layer Casserole
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 4 cups white rice cooked
- 16 oz canned corn or frozen
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef seasoned and cooked
- 1 red bell pepper diced medium-small
- 1 green bell pepper diced medium-small
- 1 medium yellow onion diced medium-small
- 29 oz pasta sauce or tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 3 cheese blend
- 1/2 lb bacon about 6 strips
Things You’ll Need
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Assemble the casserole in a 13×9 baking dish in order of ingredients ending with bacon on top, which will slightly cover each other in layers.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- You can use pasta sauce (marinara), tomato sauce, or canned crushed tomatoes.
- If you’d like a bit of spice, jalapenos would be a nice addition.
- Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or sausage and the bacon with turkey bacon if desired. For the beef, brown it thoroughly before adding to the casserole dish. Season it as you’d like while browning. Garlic powder, salt, and pepper are our go-to’s.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Italian Lasagna - March 20, 2023
- KFC Coleslaw Copycat - March 13, 2023
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes - March 7, 2023
I just discovered your recipes am trying the first one tonight. Can’t wait to try it out🌻