Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

When I posted on Facebook that I was baking a lemon rosemary olive oil cake someone commented and said “yuk”. Ha ha! Sounds a little odd I suppose, but I’ve learned that herbs are very versatile. While the thought of using pungent rosemary in a delicate cake might seem a bit unusual to you, olive oil probably sounds even stranger. Think about it though. Olive oil is one of the healthiest oils you can use, but you don’t want to use one that is cold pressed or with a stronger flavor. Use a lighter olive oil when using it in baking and substitute equally for other oils.

When I found this recipe on My Recipes I was curious as to why the rating was only 3 out of 5. Turns out after reading many of the comments that a lot of people were producing dry cakes. The instructions say to use 13.5 ounces of flour, then in parenthesis it says “about 3 cups”. Here’s where Baking 101 really comes in to play. If you aerate your flour by either stirring it first or “fluffing” it up then weigh out 13.5 ounces, after scooping that into your measuring cups and leveling them off, you will end up with a bit less than 3 cups. That’s just for discussion purposes though. I recommend for this recipe that you simply weigh the flour. That’s what I did and it was perfect. If you don’t have a scale, start with 2 1/2 cups, but don’t go more than 2 3/4 cups.

I took some of this lovely cake over to a friend of mine and she loved it. I did too. It had a delicious lemon flavor with only a subtle hint of rosemary. If you didn’t tell someone the rosemary was in there, they probably wouldn’t be able to detect it. Definitely delicious and worth giving a try!

Lemon-Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

Baker’s Joy cooking spray
13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (roughly 2.5 – 2.75 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup low fat milk
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
3 large eggs
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Rosemary sprig for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Coat a 10-inch tube pan with Baker’s Joy cooking spray; or regular cooking spray then dust with 2 tablespoons flour. Weigh or lightly spoon 13.5 ounces flour (about 2.5 – 2.75 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.

Place granulated sugar and next 7 ingredients (through eggs) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed 2 minutes or until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Combine powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Drizzle sugar mixture over cake. Garnish with rosemary sprig, if desired.

More from em you might like:
Lemon Cornmeal Cake with Blueberry Sauce
Lemon & Blackberry Cream Cheese Swirl Cake
Almond Butter Cake
Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake

More from other great blogs:
Key Lime Cream Cheese Pie from Barbara Bakes
Lemon Meringue and Fresh Raspberry Cheesecake from She’s Becoming DoughMessTic
Cornmeal, Rosemary & Lemon Cake with Rhubarb & Strawberry Sauce from Cookin’ Canuck

I’m linking to BSI on Girlichef

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

52 Responses to Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

Yum, Amanda. I think it looks and sounds good. I swear I saw it in a magazine a few months ago (Food Network or Rachael Ray?), at least something similar. Love the glaze, I don't recall the one I saw having a glaze.
    You make me want to try everything you do. ;)

Mo 'Betta says:

Gorgeous cake and I bet it's delicious too! I love lemon…

Rena says:

My husband loves lemon cake. I'm going to give this one a try and see if he likes it. Thanks for all the special tips, too!

Troy says:

We ate dinner in a fancy Italian place one night and there was a cake similar to this on the menu. Of course, since we had never heard of it, we had to try it. It was one of the best desserts we have ever had.

Incidentally, I just finished another batch of Lemon Verbena and Rosemary Jelly… Yum!

jose manuel says:

Fantastico bizcocho, se ve muy esponjoso, me lo copio.

Saludos

Thanks Katrina! I really was good, very nice lemon flavor :)

Mo – thank you! :)

Rena – hop you try it, nothing savory about it, it's very good

Troy – I bet that was good. The jelly sounds great!

Jose – Gracias! :)

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

I was already sold on this cake when I saw the title. You're so right that herbs can add such an intriguing, delicious note to desserts. And with lemons? Perfect!

Thanks Barbara!

My Kitchen in the Rockies says:

That looks like a keeper recipe for me. I love olive oil cakes since they stay very moist.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

This looks great! I would never turn my nose up to this delicious cake…:)

Thanks ladies! Definitely a keeper :)

Cookin' Canuck says:

Very good point about weighing your ingredients. It really can make a difference to a recipe. I think your cake and glaze look wonderful!

Thank you! i agree about weighing, anytime a recipe states a weight, I always weigh it.

Culinary Cory says:

This sounds unique and lovely. I always buy a small rosemary plant this time of the year to have in my kitchen during the winter months. It adds a nice natural aroma when I'm not cooking.

Good idea keeping the plant in the kitchen Cory. This was a wonderful cake!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I always weigh. Takes all the guesswork away!

I agree Avanika. Most recipes call for a measurement in cups, so in that case I use that, but whenever a recipe calls for weighing I pull out the scale :)

buttersweetmelody says:

I've been wanting to try this combo cause it sounds really delicious and interesting but I'm afraid nobody will like it and think I'm a weirdo…Then I'll have a whole lot of cake to myself (sometimes that's good) (: Thanks for the recipe]!

-Amalia

MaryBeth says:

WOW…the flavor that this cake must have, it sounds so very interesting and I would love to try it.

I think this sounds really good! I have been wanting to make an olive oil cake and I know I would love the rosemary in it. I bet lavender would be good to. Wonderful recipe Amanda. One I would like to someday try.
    BTW- I still haven't gotten to those darn watermelon cookies. Had every intention. In fact, I bought Watermelon flavoring. Then the oven broke. :(

Thanks Alamia and Marybeth!

Megan – I hard about your oven, that stinks! :(

Maria says:

I HAVE to try this cake! It looks soooo good!

So funny maria, when I first read this comment I thought you said I haTe to try this cake. LOL!

Sue says:

I think it sounds wonderful myself! It sure looks moist and delicious!

Deeba PAB says:

I love it, I do! Them who said yuk know not! I think it's gorgeous Amanda, and very pretty too!

Mags says:

What a gorgeous cake. And I agree with you that "weighing" ingredients is extremely important, especially when baking. Love the touch of rosemary.

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

I love Olive Oil cake & find nothing yucky or strange about it at all. The addition of rosemary is very nice as well!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

This looks so pretty!

Janine at Rustic Kitchen says:

This sounds lovely. I have a version with fennel seed and rosemary and people rave!

Erika says:

This looks like exactly my kind of cake. I can't wait to make this – thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer Cote says:

Wow, Amanda- sounds perfect. Another olive oil cake posted on Chow recently didn't have the plus of the fresh rosemary in it. It did say go ahead and use virgin oil though; I suppose it depends on how much you like the flavor!
    Now I'm wondering if we might try one with lavender… If that would go well with the lemon too…
    (I'm trying to find an excuse to use some lavender!)
    Thanks for posting :)

Sweet And Crumby says:

I am so grateful I found this site today. Your cake looks like perfect. I am supposed to be bringing a lemon cake to a book club. I wanted to add in some rosemary and just LOVE the idea of the olive oil as well. My question is…how do you have such a neat line of icing that does not drip down the outside of your cake? Did you pipe a line first and then flood the icing inward? Thanks!!! Thank you also for the tip on weighing and aerating the flour. Always good to be reminded that I can't cheat all the time when I bake. I have a baking blog…check it out and please let me know about the icing via your comments or email. TY.

Hi Sweet and Crumbly! :) I believe the icing was thick enough that when I added it it was fairly spreadable. I adding it to the middle of the cake area and spread it outward and inward just enough to get it near the edge. I believe I stayed about 1/4" from both edges and that allowed for a little bit of spreading room. You can see it did drizzle down the center a bit, so it's not a perfect solution, but it worked. Would love to hear how you like it!

Sweet And Crumby says:

This is my NEW FAVORITE CAKE! It is the perfect combination of lucious lemon and herby rosemary with the added flavor layer of olive oil. MMmmmmm. I am thinking of making a Meyer Lemon Drop Martini sauce for it that people could put on to of their own slice. I may blog it as well. I will link to you though! :) Great suggestions for the flour. I was careful not to over pack my flour and I used 2.5 c. since I coudln't find my scale. It came out perfectly soft and moist more like a soft coffe cake which is exactly what I was going for. Feel free to shorten my comment on your site. Hope you get a chance to stop by my blog as well. I will be coming back most definitely.

That is so awesome!! I know that i loved it too, sooo glad you enjoyed it!

Light, lovely cake. Easy to make without an electric mixer. Next time I make it I'll add less sugar, because it was a little too sweet for my taste. Must allow the lemon a chance to express itself fully!

So glad you liked it! :)

girlichef says:

Oh my gosh, I think it sounds amazing…and gorgeous, as usual! I'm all for weighing my ingredients when baking, since it's more of a science when it comes to creating the correct texture, etc. Seriously amazing, thank you for linking it to BSI: Lemons this week =)

Renee @ MyKitchenAdventures says:

I saw a version of this on WW site, I think…was really intrigued by the flavors of lemon and rosemary. I think they are a perfect match! Great entry!

Karen says:

What a beautiful cake. I have a lemon-rosemary pound cake recipe and it's just delish, so I'm sure this one is, as well. I haven't tried an olive oil cake… will have to do that!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says:

This sounds so good! Great pictures, thanks!

twospoons says:

Ooo this sounds simply divine, no matter what the ratings say! Gosh the photo of the cut cake looks brilliant, so moist and dense but just fluffy enough to be a cake. A must make! Thanks for this.

girlichef says:

Hey Amanda! I just realized that I don't think you saw the results of BSI:Lemon…check it out when you get a moment: http://www.girlichef.com/2011/03/bsi-lemons-roundup-winner.html

Melina says:

I made this cake last night for Christmas dinner. It was divine and quickly devoured. I skipped the icing, dusted with powdered, and served with fresh whip cream! I will definitely make it again.

[...] Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake from Amanda’s Cookin [...]

[...] a bit of rosemary left in my garden that I wanted to use up. I had already made this delicious Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake, so I knew this bread would be another [...]

t hill says:

I baked the lemon olive oil rosemary cake last night. I didn’t have fresh rosemary. So I used 1/2 tsp dried rosemary.. Next time I am cooking it for only 30 mins instead of 45. Hopefully it will be more moist that way.. I have to say it taste delicious..

[...] Olive Oil Cake is definitely the recipe to bring to this lemon party and I, gratefully, have Amanda’s Cookin’ blog to thank for this since that is where I found this recipe. It’s drop dead delicious.  Is [...]