Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies… is there really a perfect recipe? Did Ruth Wakefield truly create the best chocolate chip cookie base out there? While Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies are most definitely delicious, there’s always room for a little improvement. I personally think that all chocolate chip cookies should contain shortening, if not a mixture of shortening and butter, as well as a bit of baking powder. These two things combined seem to really help prevent spreading, creating a chewy, yet puffy chocolate chip cookie.

I’m going to express my love for these chocolate chip cinnamon cookies in just a minute. But first…

There are plenty of yummy variations out there as well. These buttermilk chocolate chip cookies have a slight tangy flavor, baking up beautifully, resulting in a soft, chewy cookie. One of my all time favorite variations is the chocolate chip espresso cookie. A marvelous mocha flavored cookie, perfect for coffee lovers, again, puffy and chewy.

To further illustrate my personal requirement for shortening and baking powder, you can see how flat these chocolate chunk cookies are from Ina Garten. Even Dorie’s best chocolate chip cookies spread and ended up flat, and that recipe as well as Ina’s only uses butter, no shortening and no baking powder. So, in my opinion, if you want puffy, chewy chocolate chip cookies, you need a little baking powder and shortening, or at least half shortening and half butter (I’m partial to the butter flavored shortening myself).

Now, on to the cookies. This is a great recipe. The dough comes together beautifully, a perfect scooping consistency. I filled the cookie scoop and the dough came right out of the scoop, like I was on Martha Stewart’s show or something. HA HA. They bake up nice and puffy, a light golden brown in about 11 minutes. There’s just enough cinnamon in the dough that you can taste it, and it’s great, without overpowering them. Fabulous combination! Or if you just want a great chocolate chip cookie, eliminate the cinnamon all together.

I found the original recipe on Alicia’s Recipes and adapted it to fit my guidelines, because of course the original had no shortening. ;) LOL Here’s their original recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
3/4 cup superfine sugar (run granulated sugar through a blender)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
     (or 1/2 cup Amanda’s homemade pudding mix which is what I used)
1 package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and superfine sugar until smooth and creamy; then add eggs and vanilla and beat well. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pudding mix. Turn mixer to low and gradually mix the dry into the creamy mixture until well blended. Use a spoon or sturdy rubber spatula to stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-11 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven; allow cookies to cool momentarily on baking sheets before removing them to wire racks to cool completely.

23 Responses to Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookies

jose manuel says:

Que delicia de galletas. Se ven espectaculares. Un saludo

Becky says:

amanda, these look so good! I must try very soon! i love cinnamon and chocolate. and now i'm headed off to read about your homemade pudding mix!

Jenn @ BentoForKidlet says:

Oooo yum! These sound amazing! I am with you 100% on the need for shortening and baking powder in chocolate chip cookies. I always use both and get compliments all of the time on my cookies!

I am going to add this to my must make pile of recipes!

Flourchild says:

Yum these look and sound great. I love Chocolate chips cookies and love to try new recipes. I am intriged by the use of pudding mix in these cookies. Im also off to check out your homemade recipe for pudding mix!

Von says:

I've always made choc chip cookies with just butter =] I should try your recipe- it looks so different to how mine usually turn out! I love the idea of adding cinnamon to the cookies- I love cinnamon!

Mags says:

I'm with you on the fact that shortening makes the best chocolate chip cookies but I try to stay away from it. I also have a similar recipe that incorporates the vanilla pudding. Family loves it!

cookies and cups says:

Well, I guess I know what I am doing this afternoon! These look amazing!

The ccc's I grew up with had all shortening. I loved them. So though I do prefer butter now, I hold those dear to my heart. ;)
    These look great. I do love the texture shortening provides to a cookie.
    These look great, Amanda.

Sweet and Savory says:

There are chocolate chip cookies and then there are CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES and yours look even better than the best. I must check out your own pudding mix.

Maria says:

Love the cinnamon in there! Mmmm!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Totally with you on the shortening and baking powder, Amanda! I like a cookie that puffs a little and holds its shape instead of spreading out. But I've never thought of using pudding mix in the batter! Got to give this a try soon.

Deeba PAB says:

Now why didn't I ever think of cinnamon Amanda? Need a cookie QUICK! These look delish!!

Sue Sparks says:

I love chocolate and cinnamon…like Mexican chocolate:)

teresa says:

oh yummy!! i love the look of these cookies!

Chef Fresco says:

Thanks for all the great cookie links! I don't believe I've ever had a chocolate chip cookie w. cinnamon!

You succeeded. I'm now craving your CC Cookie!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

LOVE that melted chocolate picture!! Looks delicious!

Culinary Cory says:

I tried playing around with adding cinnamon to chocolate chip cookies and it never seemed to work out. I like the idea of using vanilla pudding and will have to try this one out.

Lizzy says:

Hi! I am using your recipe on my blog! Don’t worry I credited you :)

xoxo Lizzy

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies! | {K}Mericks says:

[...] a recipe specific to that. Google to the rescue and wa-lah! Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookie Recipe here. Still that didn’t seem like enough cinnamon, so I doubled it. I probably could have just [...]

Johnetta Parden says:

I left a comment on Linda’s blog as well, and I’m here to say how nice was for you to meet up! Italy meeting Ireland in US, how good is that?

[...] from me you might like: Snickerdoodles with a Twist Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Cookies Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookies Honey Pear [...]