Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream

Mexican chocolate is used in Mexican recipes such as mole, and is made up of dark, bitter chocolate mixed with sugar, cinnamon and sometimes other spices, making it rather grainy. It produces a very rich and distinctive flavor. When I found this recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream, I knew I wanted to try it. Not everyone enjoys the combination of chocolate and cinnamon, but the flavor combination is definitely one that I think marries well, as long as it’s done right.

(If you came looking for the Tuesdays with Dorie recipe this week, I’m sorry. :( We aren’t big on coconut and I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand. Things are a bit tight right now, so shopping for extras just isn’t in the “bread” box, if you know what I mean. My apologies to Carmen, our gracious host. If you are interested in seeing how the Coconut Tea Cake came out, visit her blog, Carmen Cooks.)

Now back to the ice cream… none of my kids would eat it. I had to eat it all myself. (I know, such TORTURE, right? RIGHT?) I loved the spicy tinge at the end of each spoonful. This tasty frozen goodness was creamy and smooth and full of rich flavor. I will definitely make it again, even if I’m the only one who enjoys it!

Amanda’s Notes: Mexican chocolate is usually available in the ethnic food aisle, not the baking aisle. Something important to note is that the outside of the package can be misleading, making you think it’s a hot chocolate mix. Mexican chocolate is used to make hot chocolate, and does come in powder form, but it also comes in solid bars, disks, or tablets. You can purchase Ibarra, a well know brand, or Nestle makes one called Abuelita, which is what I used.

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
adapted from Mangio da Sola

2 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 disk and 2 triangles of Mexican chocolate
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch salt
Pinch cayenne
Pinch espresso powder
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brandy

Heat one cup of cream in a small saucepan. Whisk in cocoa powder. Bring to a simmer. Whisk until cocoa powder is well incorporated. Remove pot from heat. Stir in chocolate until homogenous.

Put mixture into a metal bowl and add the remaining cup of cream. Set that bowl over a larger bowl half-filled with ice water to help cool it down. Place a mesh sieve over the bowl with the chocolate mixture.

Put one cup of milk, the sugar, salt, cayenne, and espresso powder into a saucepan and heat until steamy (not boiling), stirring to incorporate the spices and dissolve the sugar.

Place egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Slowly pour the heated milk and mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly so that the egg yolks are tempered by the heated milk, but not cooked by it. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the milk egg mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon so that you can run your finger across the coating and have the coating not run. This can take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes, depending on how hot your burner is. Mine only took 2.5!

As soon as the mixture coats the spoon, remove it from the heat and immediately pour it over the mesh sieve into the bowl of the chocolate cream mixture. Stir into the cream mixture.

Add a teaspoon of vanilla. Let the mixture cool a bit in the ice bath and then chill in the refrigerator until completely chilled, a couple hours or overnight. (Right before churning, add 1 tablespoon of brandy to the mix. This is an optional step, but it will help keep the ice cream from getting too icy if it is stored beyond a day.)

Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Store ice cream in an airtight container in your freezer for several hours before eating. The ice cream will be quite soft coming out of the ice cream maker, but will continue harden in your freezer. If you store it for more than a day, you may need to let it sit for a few minutes to soften before attempting to scoop it.

Makes 1 quart.

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

27 Responses to Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream

angela@spinachtiger says:

This looks super delicious. I have never had Mexican chocolate, but I'm so intrigued and want to try this.

Sue Sparks says:

What a GREAT recipe! I love Mexican chocolate!

Grumpy & HoneyB says:

I just said I like some heat in my sweet – I am sure I would love this!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

No matter how many flavours of ice cream I have to choose from, I'll always go for something thats based on chocolate. This looks wonderful. I need to make some ice cream too now the weather is picking up.

Angela – This was my first time trying Mexican chocolate and I definitely like it! It's not overpowering to me, I thought it really kicked the chocolate up a notch!

Thank you Sue! Going to be looking for more things to make with what I have left :)

Shelby – you will love it!

Sarah – Me too! I love ice cream, glad the weather is warming so I can make more :)

cookies and cups says:

This sounds great! I LOVE mexican chocolate, but have a hard time finding it where I am :(

Maria says:

Amanda-the ice cream looks amazing! Save me a scoop!

Yum ice cream season is coming upon us!

Memória says:

Amanda, why didn't you tell me you made this recipe?! It looks great!!! I didn't expect to see my blog name on the recipe haha. You're making me crave this all over again…that's how I got over here. I saw the ice cream and had to come to your site. I love the presentation of this shot.

Karen says:

Mmm, I love Abeulita hot chocolate – I bet the ice cream is delicous!

misterrios says:

Oh, wow! I've only used the chocolate to make hot chocolate, so this is a real eye-opener.

Also, although I can occasionally find Ibarra in Germany, but I never buy it because I grew up on Abuelita, which I bring back with me when I visit the States.

Chow and Chatter says:

looks delicious and great for nice warm weather our lil one would lap it up!

theUngourmet says:

I love Mexican Chocolate. I haven't tried it in ice cream form. It looks fabulous! :P

LambAround says:

Thanks for the notes on where to buy the Mexican chocolate. I've looked before and, just like you said, I thought the store only had hot chocolate mix!

Lamb’s Most Recent Post: 3 Minute Toaster/Convection Oven Smores

steph- whisk/spoon says:

wow–the kids don't know what they're missing! that sounds fantastic!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Ooh I've never had Mexican Chocolate! I'd love a scoop or two!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

So glad you found some Abuelita chocolate! This sounds awesome! I wouldn't be too sad if our kids didn't want it either, more for me!

Leslie says:

This sounds delicious! I love Mexican chocolate but never would have thought of using it in ice cream.

Erica says:

I love Mexican chocolate!!!! This looks wonderful!

yummy

Anonymous said "yummy"

My sentiments exactly ;)

pantrymama says:

Oh my goodness this sounds awesome! I love Mexican Chocolate (I'm married to a Mexican-American) but have loved it since my step-dad intro me to it as a teenager. I can't wait to try.

Little Wonders' Days says:

We just made this ice cream and it was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe.

I'm so glad you liked it!

[...] Fatale – Polvorones de Chocolate by Vianney of Sweet Life – Mole Dulce by La Cocina de Leslie – Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream by Amanda’s Cookin’ – The Perfect Topping: Mexican Chocolate Caramel Sauce by My [...]

[...] Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream (from Amanda’s Cookin’) [...]

[...] made several dreamy frozen treats, but some of my favorites include Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream, Cinnamon Ice Cream, and Oreo Ice [...]