Bananas n Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze

I originally found this delicious recipe on Ingrid’s blog, 3 B’s…Baseball, Baking & Books. She found it on Bunny’s blog, Bunny’s Warm Oven, and Bunny found it on Taste of Home. The Brown Butter Glaze that coats this cake so perfectly, was found on Recipezaar.

Now that I have covered all the proper crediting, I have to share this wonderful cake with you. I love bananas, but they do go brown so quickly. I can only make so many banana breads before getting bored, so I am always on the look out for something different. I’ve tried several banana cakes, but this is one of the best ones. You know you want to make it! Go ahead!
Bananas and Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
1/3 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add bananas and mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, stirring just until combined. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Place a piece of waxed paper under the wire rack before adding the glaze.
Brown Butter Glaze
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
In a medium bowl, add powdered sugar. Place butter in a small saucepan. Melt butter over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Remove from heat and pour butter into the bowl of powdered sugar. Add milk and vanilla, stir until smooth.
Pour over the top of the cake and let it ooze over the sides. Use a metal spatula to help smooth it out.
Take a look at this last picture. See the smiley face? Well of course you do, how couldn’t you? I didn’t do this on purpose, this was the wax paper under the wire rack to catch the dripping glaze. Guess even the waxed paper thought this cake was good! What’s not to smile about!

28 Responses to Bananas n Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze

Maria says:

I don't care who made it first, I am just glad you did and now I have the recipe. Looks awesome:)

Chef Fresco says:

Mmm I can even see the spice in that icing!

Barbara Bakes says:

That icing really does make the cake look spectacular!

finsmom says:

That glaze sounds heavenly!

Think, think, think….I'm desperately trying to think of a reason to use the four small overripe bananas I've got here and make this cake! Well, I can clearly see why I should make it, I was hoping for an occasion. It just might not matter, I may just make it anyway. Bananas are my favorite thing! Okay, that and chocolate and…..;) It looks great, Amanda!

Oh, and that icing smiley is awesome!

Sonya says:

Amanda.. My mouth is watering. The pictures are perfect. Yummmy.. I can't wait to make this tomorrow night. I just love you site.

Now you know that I will just HAVE TO make this!!! Great recipe….

pinkstripes says:

Oh, that looks wonderful. I love the glaze.

Rachel says:

I wish I had some ripe bananas now!!! This looks delicious!!! My kids and husband love banana-related recipes!!!

Oh, hey! Your cake came out terrific! You did a MUCH better job getting the consistancy of the glaze right and I LOVED the glaze smiley face.

I'm so glad you enjoyed, Amanda and thanks for the shout out!

Pamela says:

Leslie says:

ooh…brown butter glaze. I could eat that by itself! :)

Maria, Chef Fresco, Barbara Bakes, finsmom, Katrina, pinkstripes, Rachel, amd Leslie – THANK YOU!

Sonya said: I can't wait to make this tomorrow night. I just love you site.

Sonya, would love to hear how you liked it! :)

Debbie said: Now you know that I will just HAVE TO make this!!!

Debbie, I'll be watching your blog for it :)

Ingrid said: I'm so glad you enjoyed, Amanda and thanks for the shout out!

Ingrid, you're welcome! Thanks for posting the recipe, I knew I had to make it the first time I saw it :)

Pamela said: I have bananas growing more brown as we speak. The brown butter glaze sounds fabulous! Gotta save this one.

Pamela, I'll be watching your blog, hope to see it there! :)

It must be an Amanda thing: your recipe came on the exact day I was trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of bananas before they went bad…again. I made this last night and husband and I had a piece as soon as we could, talk about amazing! My glaze isn't as pretty as yours. I sifted my heart out and still ended up with lumps in my confectioner's sugar. How did you get your glaze so thick and perfect?

Amanda – Hmm, I'm not sure why there were lumps. I just followed the instructions in the recipe, did you deviate from that at all? Did you use butter or margarine? That might make a difference. I used unsalted butter, pure vanilla, sifted powdered sugar and whole milk.

The Gypsy Chef says:

On a sugar high these days. This cake looks amazing, gonna have to use up my old bananas making this. Thanks for the post!

I made this yesterday. Wowzers, it's awesome. So moist and delicious. The icing is a nice smooth flavor, not too sweet. I'm gonna keep this icing recipe and use it on other cakes too. It will be great on a pumpkin cake.

Amanda, I made this over the weekend — fabulous. The glaze is incredible. What a great combination.

Liz in PA

So glad you enjoyed in Liz! It's a delicious cake :)

I was reading some of your other receipes, and saw this one….was looking for something to do with bananas…..made this cake today-and it was to die for!!!!! Added an extra banana, and it came out perfect!!!! And the brown butter glaze just rolled the cake right over the top…..not too sweet, but really complimented the cake. I will pass this on to all my friends! Thanks so much for such a luscious cake!!!!! I will also be using this glaze on other things…maybe a carrot cake…..hmmmm just think of the possibilities!!!!!! I could eat a bowl of it with just a spoon for company!!

i am so glad to hear this, it's one of my favorite cakes! Thanks!

Eva says:

Looks heavenly! Like you, I’ve got bananas browning on my fruit tray and several others in the freezer, and I was looking for something to make with them. The only thing I don’t have (and hardly ever use is shortening). Do you think butter would work? what about plain canola or even a mixture of canola/butter & applesauce? Whenever possible, I try to reduce the fat by half ’cause it makes a BIG difference when you eat sweets as much as I do :) Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

• 23.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Replacing butter for shortening is possible, but butter has a higher water content. Butter has a lower melting point and can change the texture of the final result. If you are trying to avoid trans-fats, Crisco now makes a shortening with no trans-fats. If you decide to substitute, you may need to cut the butter back a little.

[...] adapted the Brussels Sprouts recipe from How Sweet It Is and the cake is adapted from Amanda’s Cookin.  When I make the Brussels Sprouts again I think I’ll add a couple of slices of bacon but [...]

Kathy says:

Cake is delightful and has a taste and aroma that is very inviting. I never use shortening if I can do otherwise. I used half a stick of really good quality butter here. I also cut the glaze quantity in half and its fine. I have been a scratch baker for over fifty years and I can honestly say this is some pretty good banana cake.