It wouldn’t be the holidays without pie. There are so many pie recipes to choose from these days that it can be overwhelming. But it can also be great because there are so many pie recipes to choose from! Pie crust is another subject all together, as are recipes for homemade pie fillings and spice mixes. So no matter what type of pie recipe you are looking for, be sure to check this comprehensive list of pies, crusts and fillings first.
40+ Pie Recipes, Crust Types, Spice Mixes and Homemade Fillings
There are several different ways to make a pie crust, whether it’s from crushed graham crackers, smashed cookies or homemade pie dough. And then the pie fillings! Oh the abundance of homemade pie fillings and spice mixes, so many to choose from and tons of great recipes. To narrow your search a bit, I’ve collected over 40 pie recipes, pie crust ideas, homemade spice mixes, and pie filling recipes for you to check out.
Homemade Pie Crust Recipes
Here are a few different recipes for homemade pie crusts. While looking for these, I also found a post describing the different types of pie crusts (i.e. double and single crusts, decorative cut-outs, lattice top crusts, etc) that you may find helpful before you choose which recipe to use.
- This Homemade Graham Cracker Pie Crust from Make and Takes is a perfect crust and can be used for all kinds of cream pie recipes. You can follow these simple directions using cookie crumbs too!
- Old fashioned flakey pie crust is crucial to any fruit or otherwise baked pie. Vegetable Shortening Pie Crust from Tidy Mom is a classic and so tasty!
- Perfect Homemade Pie Crust from The Idea Room turns out so light and flaky, great for your favorite pumpkin pie.
Homemade Pie Filling Recipes and Spice Mixes
Have you ever run out of pumpkin pie spice and didn’t want to run to the store? Or maybe you just weren’t sure what spices went into that mix and now your pumpkin pie baking day has come to a screeching halt? We’ve all had that happen at some point, but whether you have run out of something or you just prefer to make your own spice mixes and pie fillings from scratch, there are plenty to choose from here.
- This homemade Peach Pie Filling from One Acre Vintage Home lends itself to pie of course, but you could also use it for a cobbler or crisp.
- Using homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice is very common these days. This recipe from Spend with Pennies is great, and you probably have most of the spices in your cupboard already.
- I loved making this Homemade Cherry Pie Filling, the process from beginning to end was a delightful experience and it tastes delicious!
- Looking for a simple Blueberry Pie Filling recipe? Then this one from Dishes & Dust Bunnies is perfect, especially during blueberry season.
- Apple Pie Filling is one of the most popular pie fillings in America. Spend with Pennies gives us her delicious version that can be used in your holiday pie this year.
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling, once you’ve picked your apples you’re ready to start canning just like Skip to my Lou.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
Pie Making Essentials
Before we move on to the actual pie recipes, there are definitely some tools that you will need. If you don’t already have these in your kitchen supplies, make sure you pick them up.
- For pie pans, you can use disposable foil pans, glass (Pyrex) pie plates or decorative ceramic pie plates. Just make sure you check the size of your pan and compare it to the instructions in the recipe. Yes, there are different sizes!
- A pastry blender is very handy. It’s made up of about five individual metal wires all held together with a handle. Using a pastry blender allows you to cut the butter into the dry ingredients and create a nice flaky dough.
- A rolling pin is definitely a must! There are all sorts of rolling pins. I personally have a big silicon pin that I use for everything, but everyone has their preference. Wooden ones work great as well and come in all sorts of styles.
- A pastry brush is inexpensive and perfect for spreading egg wash or melted butter evenly across your dough before it goes into the oven. I actually prefer the silicon pastry brushes as the wooden ones tend to wear out and lose bristles over time.
Other handy essentials for pie making include:
- Pie weights – When your pie crust dough is ready for the oven, these are placed right into the center of your pie dough to hold it down and keep it from bubbling up during the baking process.
- Pie crust shield – This is a really handy tool for keeping the edges of your pie crust from browning too much in the oven. Sure you could use aluminum foil, but these are easier and you are less likely to burn yourself. Just drop this shield over the top of the baking pie and that’s it!
- Pie Cutter – If you want nice even slices of pie so no one is arguing over who has the bigger slice, then get a pie cutter. Although sometimes it’s fun watching your guests eyeball the slices to see which one they want!
- Pie server – This handy spatula is made in the shape of a slice of pie, making it easy to lift out a slice of pie without dropping any of the good stuff.
Fresh and delicious fruit pie recipes
Do you love fruit pies? Blackberry is probably my favorite, but there are so many different kinds to choose from. Strawberry pie is popular in the summer but could absolutely be served in the fall if you prepared ahead of time and froze your strawberry harvest. Then there’s raspberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, pears, oh my! The list of fruit pie possibilities goes on and on.
- This yummy Blueberry Pie from The Cake Chicka is making my mouth water.
- Apple Crumb Pies are deliciously popular, and this one is “The Best” according to Spend with Pennies.
- This Peach Pie from The Country Chic Cottage would be a fabulous addition to your Thanksgiving recipe collection!
- If you love a good Strawberry Pie then you will definitely want to try this recipe from Jeanie and Lulu’s Kitchen.
- Apple and Raspberry Pie from Cooking Sutra is one pie I’ve never had before, but the idea of both of those fruits together sounds amazing.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie “Sweet, tart, fruity, and a beautiful color to boot!” This is my next homemade pie to make from Hidden Ponies.
- How gorgeous is this Triple Berry Pie from Tina’s Chic Corner?
- Cherry Cranberry Pie, all I can say is wow! This would be a perfect pie from Kendra’s Treats to bring for any Thanksgiving dinner.
- If you’re not into the perfection of making pies, this Lemon Blueberry Galette is perfect for you!
Pumpkin pie recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas
According to my daughter, Thanksgiving and Christmas would not be complete without pumpkin pie from scratch. But there’s more than one way to prepare this fall favorite. Pumpkin pie is an all time favorite, maybe put a different spin on your holiday dessert this year.
- Looking for a refreshing change to the classic pumpkin pie? Flavor the Moment made this Chai Spice Pumpkin Pie that looks amazing.
- Who doesn’t love streusel topping on a pie? I know I do! Tidy Mom has a terrific Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie with Streusel Topping recipe.
- I’m dying to try this Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie from The Recipe Rebel!
- Every year I make my Perfect Pumpkin Pie, the secret is in the heaving whipping cream I add.
- A gorgeous Layered Walnut Pumpkin Pie sounds amazing from Tidy Mom.
- Salted caramel anything is my favorite so when I saw this Pumpkin Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Topping from Little Sweet Baker, I knew I had to share it.
- If you’re looking for all of the deliciousness of a pumpkin pie without so much of the hassle, these Pumpkin Hand Pies may just be your new best friend.
Favorite Pecan Pie recipes for the holidays
I have family that are huge fans of homemade pecan pie. I think it’s delicious, and even made some pecan pie bars once that were amazing! Here are some fabulous variations on pecan pie that you won’t want to miss out on. Remember, if not for Thanksgiving there’s always Christmas!
- Enjoy an Upside Down Apple Pecan Pie from Tidy Mom. This is sure to please a crowd.
- Chocolate Pecan Pie “This pie has everything. It’s gooey, sweet, and it’s studded with dark chocolate”. Wow, that sounds amazing, right? Thank’s Yammie’s Noshery.
- Nothing like a sweet classic Pecan Pie with some bourbon baked inside! Big Bears Wife made a tasty delight.
- Dangerously Delicious made this Cream of Coconut Pecan Pie but adding a little twist with some cream of coconut.
- This is my personal favorite Pecan Pie recipe! I make it every fall.
Delicious Cream Pie Recipes
I have to admit that cream pie is my weakness. Cream pies are my all time favorite pies and they are always the first to go from the dessert table. Here are several amazing cream pie recipes to choose from.
- Frozen Creamsicle Pie is a great way to cool off on those hot Summer days from Tidy Mom.
- I bet this Lemon Meringue Pie from Gimme some Oven is to die for!
- My family especially enjoys the Magic Cream Pie I make for them, with it’s butterscotch filling.
- Here’s another refreshing Summer pie, Key Lime Pie from How Does She.
- S’mores Pie is a perfect dessert for Summer or Fall. Tidy Mom has done it again!!
- I love a no bake dessert, especially in the Summer so this No Bake Strawberry Dreamsicle Pie is getting pinned for sure from Today’s Creative Life.
- No Bake Smore’s Pie is a great and tasty last minute recipe to make from Go Go Go Gourmet.
- An Orange Creamsicle Pie just sounds delicious to me Princess Pinky Girl did a fabulous job with this Summer Pie.
- Tidy Mom made a Chocolate Covered Pretzel Pie and it does not sound’s like a boring pie at all, it sounds like an AMAZING idea and I have to try is asap.
More Amazing Cream Pie Recipes
Didn’t get enough cream pies above? Me neither. There’s no such thing as too much cream pie! I highly recommend that you try my French Silk Pie which is listed below. I make it every single Thanksgiving and Christmas without fail. My kids would probably revolt if I didn’t!
- If you love trying new recipes, then you have to try this Classic Maple Syrup Pie from Seasons & Suppers.
- Frozen Lemonade Pie is perfect for those hot Summer days, it’s tart and sweet at the same time.
- This is a Thanksgiving favorite, chocolate Homemade French Silk Pie with it’s rich and creamy filling.
- This Peanut Butter Pie is SO decadently dreamy and is perfect for the holidays, from Kevin & Amanda.
- Oh, how yummy does this Caramel Banana Pie with Bourbon look from Lana’s Cooking, I sure could go for a piece.
- If you’ve never had Caramel Cream Pie, then this is a pie you have to try, so delicious from Shugary Sweets.
Try Slab Pie This Year
If you’ve never made a slab pie before you’ll be amazed and how much easier they are than traditional round pies. I mean, think about it. Cookies vs. bars. Same comparison.
- This Pumpkin Slab Pie just looks too pretty to eat from Lou Lou Biscuit.
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie “A thin and flaky melt in your mouth crust topped with juicy apples and a crisp topping. It is drizzled in homemade caramel and perfect for feeding a crowd!” Wow that says it all from The Recipe Critic.
- There’s no question, that I have to try this Peach Slab Pie from She Wears Many Hats.
- Cherry Pie Squares are a family favorite, especially since I gave the topping a chocolate twist.
- The Blackberry Pie is great to use your own homemade pie filling or even some from the grocery store.
- If this is not a perfect Summer time pie, then I don’t know what is. Miss in the Kitchen made this Strawberry Slab Pie to die for!
I hope this comprehensive list of pie recipes, pie crust recipes and tips, and filling recipes helps you out this holiday season. Everyone loves pie so be sure to pick a few favorites to make and bookmark the rest!