The Mudslide drink is a delicious dessert cocktail made with coffee liqueur, vodka and Irish cream. This Mudslide is served on the rocks, unlike it’s frozen cousin. Perfect for hot summer days when a glass of Cabernet is just too heavy.
And here’s how to mix up a Frozen Mudslide, but let’s go on the rocks today.
It’s simple and it’s delicious. Making a Mudslide is so easy you’ll wonder why you haven’t made them over and over again. Three ingredients, some ice, and a cocktail shaker is all it takes to bring this classic drink to your table.
Forget about the restaurant version of this drink. Those are served in huge hurricane glasses, doused in chocolate syrup, and often served with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. That’s a lot of calories my friends!
This Mudslide drink has just a tad over 300 calories per serving. Just imagine how much you’d be taking in with all that ice cream and chocolate sauce added in!
There are other versions without the ice cream and chocolate sauce, but that include heavy cream on top of the core three ingredients. You can add about 100 calories to your cocktail by pouring in just one ounce of heavy cream.
But have it if you want to indulge! I am not here to judge! In fact, I’ve been known to add whipped cream to the top of mine.
Ingredients to make a Mudslide
- Vodka – If you don’t have a favorite brand, you can try one of the top vodka brands for 2019. Any vodka will do though, as it’s mostly the sweet treat alcohols that give this drink its flavor.
- Coffee-flavored liqueur – Most people associate this with Kahlua, but there are definitely other brands out there you can try.
- Irish cream – Baileys is the brand that usually comes to mind here, but there are others for sure. Kerrygold, the maker of my favorite Irish butter, also makes an Irish cream!
- Chocolate shavings – These are mostly for garnish and won’t be scraped off the top and eaten, so we didn’t include them in the calorie count. They are also totally optional and just for show. If you use a bittersweet chocolate it not only cuts down on the calories, but the bars are easier to grate because there’s less sugar.
Helpful kitchen tools:
How to make a Mudslide
- Grab a rock glass and fill it with ice.
- Next, fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Now pour the vodka, coffee liqueur, and Irish cream into the cocktail shaker.
- Shake well, I like to count to 30.
- Strain into the rock glass and top with chocolate shavings.
- Serve and enjoy.
When to serve a Mudslide
Oh there’s plenty of opportunities, don’t you agree?
- Anytime you crave a drink for dessert instead of that big hunk of chocolate cake.
- When it’s hot outside and you want an icy cold drink that tastes good.
- When wine seems too formal for the occasion.
- Or, anytime.
More Cocktails You Will Love
- Vodka – One of our favorites for summer is the Moscow Mule. Vodka, fresh lime juice, and spicy ginger beer are a great summertime combo. The classic Screwdriver is popular for brunch, while the Cosmopolitan and the Appetini are a little fancier for a night out.
- Coffee Liqueur – Oh my, if we’re talking dessert drinks you have to try this super indulgent Butterscotch Milkshake Cocktail. It’s delicious! Another favorite is this Kahlua Frappuccino. And of course, we can’t forget the Pink Mudslide, perfect for special occasions like Valentine’s Day!
- Irish Cream – We’re still building our arsenal of Baileys inspired drinks, but be sure to check out our ever-popular Bailey’s Chocolate Martini and this Baileys Coffee Float.
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz Irish cream
- Chocolate shavings optional
- Fill a rock glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, coffee liqueur, and Irish cream to cocktail shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain over ice in rock glass and top with chocolate shavings.