If you read my post on homemade chocolate ice cream you’ll know that I picked up a $70.00 ice cream maker at the thrift store for $3.00 (SCORE!). So I’ve been browsing around for ice cream recipes, but my youngest son, Dominic, really wanted me to try good ole vanilla.
So I found some fun ice cream recipes on Old Fashioned Living and one of them was this Vanilla Ice Cream recipe (below). You see I didn’t have any vanilla beans lying around so I wanted to try this one since it used vanilla extract instead. it’s very tasty, though it scoops out more the consistency of ice milk, if you’ve ever had that. Dominic enjoyed it immensely and I intend to try some of the other recipes on that link too :)
- 1 quart milk
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- dash salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Heat milk until small bubbles begin to appear; stir in sugar and salt.
- Stir in some of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Slowly stir eggs into pan and cook over low heat, stirring for about 2 minutes. Do not boil.
- Stir in cream and let mixture cool; stir in vanilla.
- Freeze in ice cream machine according to directions.
NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit https://amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html