I love pink peppermint ice cream. I buy it throughout the year when I can find it, but it’s more prominent in stores at Christmastime. I didn’t want to wait for Christmas to have it, so I made my own. It’s fabulous, if I do say so myself. I’ve made it three times, and each time it’s been polished off by the family. Don’t worry, I got my fair share too. ;-)
I found a couple of recipes on the net, but ended up developing my own using the sweetened condensed milk, cream and milk formula I’ve used in a couple other recipes. Pink peppermint ice cream isn’t much different than mint chocolate chip ice cream. There are basically 2 major differences. The mix-ins (peppermint candies as opposed to chocolate) and the amount of vanilla that’s added to the mix. The amount of vanilla makes a huge difference in the flavor.
The only thing I did differently the second time around was the crush the peppermint up a little more. I had some pretty big chunks in the first batch (as pictured below), it was better with smaller pieces in my opinion. This is now a permanent recipe in my collection!
You can use candy canes or those little round peppermint candies, commonly known as Starlight Mints. Put them in a plastic zipper gallon bag and squeeze out the air. Zip it shut and crush the candy with a meat mallet or hammer.
Hint: If you’re looking for something else that’s fun to make from starlight mints or candy canes, try this Peppermint Oreo Popcorn Bark!
Sorry, I didn’t count how many candies, but you’ll need around 15 or so candy canes or a couple handfuls of the round candies. Just crush until you have a cup’s worth. If you happen to remember, leave me a comment with how many it took to get to a cup. I’ll update this next time I make it.
You’ll add the crushed candies a few minutes before turning off your ice cream maker. Then freeze!
P.S. This would be amazing alongside a slice of this Peppermint Cake!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Vanilla Blackberry Jam Ice Cream
- No Churn Ice Cream
- Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Birthday Cake Rolled Ice Cream
Pink Peppermint Ice Cream
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 14- oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Combine all ingredients except for the crushed peppermint candies in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- minutes before churning is complete, add the crushed candies to the ice cream maker.
- Turn the ice cream out into a freezer container and freeze until hard, usually a few hours or so, but overnight is best.
Latest posts by Amanda Davis (see all)
- Chicken with Onion Thyme Sauce - September 26, 2023
- Sugar Crusted Plum Muffins - September 25, 2023
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots and Candied Pecans - September 21, 2023