This is my favorite banana cake of all time! Bananas are one of my favorite fruits, and I adore cake, so it’s a match made in Heaven for me. This moist and delicious banana cake uses 4 ripe bananas as well as some coconut for added moisture and tenderness. You can easily make these into Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting as well!
Banana Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
I have tried several different recipes for banana cake over the years, but this is the one I like best. It should not come as a surprise that this banana cake recipe comes from the wonderful Dorie Greenspan and her amazing book, Baking From My Home to Yours.
For almost two years I baked along with the amazing men and women of the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group. That was many years ago now. I played along religiously for quite some time, then I fell off the participation wagon and had made the decision to leave TWD. I joined the group shortly after starting my blog in 2008 and learned so much about baking from playing along.
So I said farewell TWD. Thank you for all that you taught me about baking, for your kind comments when my blog was so new, for providing a great group of people to troubleshoot with, and for your friendships. And Dorie, thank you so much for this wonderful book. It is a permanently prized possession in my cookbook collection.
Ingredients for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe can also be found on pages 204-205 of Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking: From My Home to Yours”.
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar (or granulated sugar)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or Malibu coconut rum (optional)
- About 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (you should have 1 ½ – 1 ¾ cups)
- ½ cup canned unsweetened coconut milk, regular (stir well before measuring) or “lite” (or whole milk, buttermilk, sour cream, or plain yogurt)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, preferably toasted (or an equal amount of moist, plump dried fruit, such as currants,
- raisins, chopped apricots, cranberries, blueberries, or halved cherries, or a combination of coconut and dried fruit)
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8-oz packages of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Soften the cream cheese and butter, but don’t let it get warm, just take the chill off. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely combined. Beat in the vanilla. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Who doesn’t love a delicious, moist banana cake recipe? Especially after the addition of vanilla cream cheese frosting… It truly doesn’t get better than this.
Be sure to stop by some of our favorite banana recipes on the blog below!
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Banana Cream Lush with Bananas Foster Sauce
- Banana Split Dessert
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Nice Cream Milkshakes (using bananas!)
- Single Serve Bananas Foster
- Bananas N Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
This post was originally published on this blog on July 19, 2010.