Are you a fan of elegant, semi-homemade desserts? If so, you will adore this Lemon Curd Poke Cake. It’s the perfect treat for out-of-town guests, celebrations, or quiet evenings at home with loved ones. A few special ingredients turn ordinary boxed yellow cake mix into a dessert worthy of seconds and thirds!
Lemon Curd Poke Cake
I appreciate the ease of boxed cake mixes and with a little creativity, they can be adapted into any flavor one can imagine! Sour-sweet lemon curd melted deep into the cake is what makes this dessert extra special.
- Removing cake from cake pans is much easier if you line the bottom with parchment paper. I simply use a pencil to trace the shape of the pan, then place the parchment inside of the prepare pan. When flipped, the entire cake will fall out of the pan easily.
- The lemon curd will be absorbed by the cake once they have cooled. To keep the cake from sliding around the cake plate, placing the cooled cake upside down will help it stick.
- When the cakes are done baking, use the round end of a candy thermometer, wooden spoon, or scoop to poke holes deep into the cakes. Spread lemon curd over the cakes and watch as it drips into the holes.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
Ingredients for Lemon Curd Poke Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus the ingredients needed to prepare it (usually eggs, vegetable oil, and water)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Flour for dusting the cake pans
- Lemon Curd
- Grated lemon peel
- Fresh mint for garnish
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
Tools You May Find Helpful:
- Hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Parchment paper or parchment circles
- 2- 8-inch round cake pans
- Cooling rack
- Icing spatula
This cake is delicious with tea or coffee. It’s zesty lemon flavor makes it perfect for summer!
Scroll down for the printer friendly version of this recipe
More lemon cake recipes
You will find plenty of poke cake recipes on this blog. I love injecting additional flavor into cakes, and poke cakes make that business easy, plus guests love them! This Citrus Lover’s Poke Cake combines lemon and orange flavors for a wonderful summertime dessert you will love.
If you love pound cake, this next recipe is right up your alley. This Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Strawberry Topping displays beautifully and tastes fantastic.
If you’re looking for something elegant, perfect for a bridal or baby shower or even afternoon tea (yes, people still do that!), this Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake is truly delightful.